Becoming fluid with chords

Around two years ago, I had an instructor who taught using a system based on the seven modal 3nps scales. Initially, I learned the scale shapes. Then, each week I would learn a new pattern based on intervals (e.g. 1-3-2-4-3-5 for 3rds, 1-4-5-2-3-6-7-4 for 4ths, etc.). Over several months this covered 3rds through 9ths, as well as triads and their inversions. Eventually, I worked on sliding between adjacent scale shapes at various points in the scale.

This was without a doubt the most helpful thing for my guitar playing that I have ever worked on. Before, trying to play a melody felt like hunt and peck typing. I was super slow and would constantly have to guess where notes were, often getting it wrong. Trying to improvise to a backing track was a disaster. Now, improvising and playing around with ideas is an absolute joy. Iā€™m by no means a pro and I still hit plenty of wrong notes, but I can come up with a melody in real-time and play it with quite a bit of ease. My playing isnā€™t very fast or frilly/embellished (thatā€™s where learning lots of licks comes in) but the foundation is there. I can move anywhere on the fretboard and just play notes that match the chord progression without having to really even think about scale shapes. I donā€™t feel ā€œboxed inā€.

Soā€¦ what I described above applies mostly to melody lines. I would like to learn to do this with chords as well. If Iā€™m not focused on something, my mind will just churn out improvised chord progressions/melodies endlessly but I forget them quickly. Being able to just play the chords Iā€™m thinking of seems incredibly useful. Right now with chords Iā€™m still in the hunt and peck stage and it takes long enough to come up with how to play the chord Iā€™m thinking of that it really stifles creativity.

Now obviously the fact that there are so many different chords and voicings makes this a much more complex subject than single-note melody lines. However, Iā€™m hoping to find or come up with some systematic approach for building a solid foundation, as the modal 3nps approach I described above worked incredibly well for me.

I consider this foundation to be: from anywhere on the fretboard, be able to quickly/thoughtlessly play any triad-based chord progression. Much, much more can be added on top of this later (intentionally choosing specific voicings, 7th and 9th chords, inversions, etc.) but thatā€™s at least a good starting point.

Iā€™m wondering if anyone has ideas on how to approach this from an organizational perspective. Iā€™m thinking of trying a similar approach that my instructor used. That is: start by choosing a chord voicing for each scale degree (all nearby on the fretboard) and practice playing each chord in the scale consecutively (I, II, III, IVā€¦), then introduce interval-based patterns (I, III, II, IVā€¦) and eventually practice connecting adjacent scales shapes.

I can think of a few different ways to choose the chord voicings:

1. All chords should use the same set of strings (e.g. bottom, middle, or top 4). This means the voicings will be somewhat random (basically whatever voicing happens to work with the chosen 4 strings) but guarantees that all chords are relatively close in frequency range.
  2. All chords should use the same inversion. This has the opposite properties as 1.
  3. Use a CAGED-based approach to picking chords? Iā€™d have to think about this some more. Iā€™m not sure what the pros/cons are.

Iā€™d love to hear other peoplesā€™ thoughts on tackling this and what approaches have worked for others.

1 Like

Thereā€™s a written method for this which I think would help you a lot, but thereā€™s a lot of legwork in there too - having to transpose it to all the keys, etc.

Itā€™s a $10 buy on djangobooks.com. Rob MacKillop has an excellent series of videos examing the exercises in the book - you can find that here: George Van Eps Method For Guitar | Rob MacKillop ~ Musician

Hope this helps - George Van Eps is still one of the most fluid chordal players Iā€™ve ever listened too.

3 Likes

have you looked into christiaan van hemerts system? although he has perfect pitch so i am not entirely sure if his method is for everyone. but i did notice when i watched his channel he was really into the chord stuff, and had a few chord style phrasing that he would do when he improvised. so he is probably still learning, and figuring things out would be my guess. he is basically a computer and seems to have an endless memory. :smiley:

another guy you could look into taking lessons would be sven jungbeck. he seems to also be a computer when it comes to knowing every single chord with inversion. :stuck_out_tongue: his videos of chord explanations for songs are wild he will just sometimes go off into this well you could do this inversion or this one while explaining the chords sometimes. and this is the point where i have to pause the video and crawl through these chords baby step at a time.

Well thereā€™s a few approaches, and lots of ways to practice. Iā€™d suggest getting really, really good with grip voicing, yā€™know - the standard fare vocabulary of guitar chords. William Leavittā€™s ā€œModern Method For Guitarā€ has extensive coverage of these, and even better - they are in the context of progressions! Learn and practice them in all 12 keys.

Then, Iā€™d suggest getting a ā€œReal Bookā€ and play through a new jazz standard or two every day using that vocabulary.

Guide tone lines using 3rds and 7ths helps out a bunch; becoming acutely aware of where the 3rds and 7ths live in your chords will help all aspects of your playing.

I might suggest reading up on horn arrangement via ā€œsoliā€ - they work out great for guitar and help out a ton for voice leading and building chords under a melody.

Lastly, write it down - not as a chord diagram, but in notation - thatā€™s what will take one from being a ā€œgeometryā€ player to a note player. Only 12 notes, but thereā€™s a LOT of numbers on each string. Take advantage of tab, diagrams, and notation.

I hope that helps! Good luck!

Thanks for all the suggestions! Iā€™ll take a look into those methods and choose one (or several) to as my next step (Iā€™m currently working my way through The Christopher Parkening Guitar Method as Iā€™ve never used standard notation with guitar, only piano).

Iā€™ve never heard the term ā€œgrip voicingā€, would you mind explaining what these are? A Google search yields some results that seem to be focused on piano, are you talking about the same thing?

Could you expand on this a bit? Right now I tend to think in intervals and I know how those intervals map to certain fret relationships (e.g. a 5th is ā€œup one string, over two/three fretsā€). I can figure out notes but I certainly donā€™t think in notes. Practically speaking, how does the transformation from a geometry player to a note player arise and what are the benefits? Is it just a lot of rote memorization? Becauseā€¦

I wonder if you could comment a bit more on this. I donā€™t mind putting in lots of legwork but I would want to make sure itā€™s actually having the desired learning effect. An exercise like ā€œtranspose this chord into all 12 keysā€ seems exactly like the sort of task in which my brain (i.e. my subconscious learning process) will latch onto some little shortcut to avoid the mental work required to actually learn (e.g. ā€œEb is 3 semitones up from C so just slide everything up by 3ā€). I struggled to learn the notes on the fretboard because of this very same reason: if Iā€™m doing some exercise to pinpoint, e.g., all D notes on the fretboard, my brain will cue into the pattern Iā€™m following rather than the isolated fret locations (because that is less mentally taxing).

Put another way: my brain is stubborn and lazy and because it knows that the C major scale is C-D-E-F-G-A-B, it says ā€œwhy learn the Eb major scale? Itā€™s the same thing, just shifted!ā€. But when I watch videos of pro players breaking down chords, they can name and navigate note relationships within any given key effortlessly. So I somehow need to convince my brain (again, brain = ā€œsubconscious learning processā€, not ā€œactive, conscious desire to learnā€) that each of the 12 keys in ā€œtranspose into all 12 keysā€ is an exciting and novel task rather than a boring repetitive pattern matching activity.

1 Like

George Van Eps doesnā€™t use tab. He uses the staff notation. And he wants you to write out his exercises in all the keys, in staff notation.

Itā€™s difficult, but itā€™s worth it. Make a conscious active effort to do it.

I have never checked his method out but heā€™ll probably always be my favorite classical player. Each phrase in his interpretations were just so musical, and his tone was just to die for. Anyway, curios to hear what you get out of his method book.

@Gumgo Hey man, yeah - ā€œGripsā€ are kind of jazz guitarist slang for ā€œall the main chords that everybody knowsā€. I included a copy of Autumn Leaves with most of them included; root on the Low ā€˜Eā€™ or ā€˜Aā€™ string. ā€œishā€ This gives you a great starting point if you can play this songā€™s chord changes.

Oh yeah, take a real close look at the chord changes Root motion:
C F Bb Eb A D G. Awful close to the names of the strings, yes? So I bet it would be pretty easy to remember. Oh, and what is that interval? You guessed it 4thsā€¦ (Or descending 5ths). I guess a person could just stumble through it going ā€œ3rd fret note on the A string, 1st on the Low E, 1st fret on the A, then 6th fret on the A then 5th fret on the low E, then 5th fret on the A and finally 3rd fret on the Gā€

So you can see maybe already that by learning the names of these notes makes communicating what you play or want to play to another player much, much more efficient. By finding what the notes are in each chord, by slaving through the notation you get to know both what the chord is comprised of, gain familiarity with that key signature and simultaneously really get to know your fretboard.

Maybe itā€™s a saxophonist you are playing with and you also need to understand transposition as it applies to Alto, Tenor or Soprano saxā€¦ Or what if you are playing in an altered tuning? I mean you could always get by with just using your ear but why not name it along the way?

Itā€™s a lot of work, itā€™s along the lines of learning a language so itā€™s not for everyone. The above reflects my attitude, but perhaps itā€™s not helpful; thatā€™s okay as well! If what you do works for you, run with it!

Good luck! :grinning: