Beginner Picking Question

I found the Dunlop flow style to be great for edge picking. I am still experimenting with grips and wrist/forearm movement to see which is most efficient for my style. Will keep you posted on any breakthroughs.

I noticed that I can get fast tremolo and 6 NPS pattern on one string with the DSX but I cannot even get a tremolo with the USX. It feels really awkward and almost as if the range of motion is locked. It doesnā€™t feel natural(feels forced) which leads me to believe Iā€™m not doing the motion correctly. Most of my favorite players use the USX patterns so I would definitely like to figure out how to do this accurately.

The range of motion will be locked along some point after a down stroke the pick will get trapped.

Sorry for the confusion - it feels like my wrist is locked not the pick. I am rewatchig the USX motion videos and try to replicate exactly what Troy did.

I found a good right hand excercise to get your picking motion used to move from string to string. Essentially you just barre a whole fret on all 6 strings and play the pattern matching with your escape motion - ie 3 or 6NPS ending on down stroke for DSX and go through all of the strings. It allows you to see if the motion is being done correctly with instant feed back - if not doing correctly the excercise with feel clunky or stop. Also it will give a pulse on timing and if you are moving from string to string efficiently with forearm/fingers/hand.

I noticed that I was trying to play 6 string patterns with DSX and the whole thing fell apart due to my right hand not being used to switching strings so fast and the actually motion itself slightly changing to accommodate the up and down movement between strings. It was a great practice to use the USX motion here because once it was done incorrectly I couldnā€™t pick between the strings.