Best settings for recording videos on iPhone

I’m wondering what settings I should be using on the camera of my iPhone 6S to try and get the best picture quality when recording videos for critique.

Any guidance is appreciated.

1 Like

Good question! We almost always shoot our closeup Magnet footage at 120fps. That’s the “slow-mo” mode on the iPhone — go into your camera settings, and you can see options for slo-mo recording. Good default setting is 120fps at whatever the highest resolution is your phone will let you select.

Newer model iPhones are actually capable of 240fps, which gives you even smoother slow-mo… BUT this means a faster shutter speed, which means the camera requires a lot more light — so unless you have a super bright light setup just right, you’ll usually get better image quality with the 120fps mode and that will get you plenty slow-mo for anything short of world-record speed picking!

Either way it’s worth aiming to get a good amount of light as even 120fps requires more light than normal filming. Setting up in front of a window during the day can work, otherwise a lamp set up a few feet away will usually do the trick. We’ve used inexpensive Ikea floor lamps for a lot of stuff in the past; anything similar that’s decently bright should give you a pretty good image.

4 Likes

Thanks @Brendan! I have changed my settings accordingly. Hopefully someone else will find your info useful.