Better angle technique vids

shot a few more technique vids. i was trying to show AdamP an exercise I do that I call “picking around the string”

Sorry for how nasty the guitar is lol. I forgot to wipe it off. cest la vie

A few things stood out to me right away.

1. I am more uwps based than I realized. At least when playing tremolo or scale oriented stuff

2. I see I am lazy on my string tracking. Instead of actually tracking, it looks more like I just sort of clockface down so that all the angles change etc. Im gonna have to work on (eliminating) that

3. I despise filming.

4. I dont see much if any rotation happening

5. im not above a bit of legato lol

So is this just called “wrist based deviation”? I dont really see any rotation happening

any comments good or bad?

Thanks, JJ

maybe the best overall since there is action from high e down to A string

3nps loop then into other licks

3nps string skip loop

this one demonstrated a bit how I tend to straighten the thumb/finger to uwps then retract thumb etc to dwps

demonstrating “picking around the string” and how it allows escape both ways. Interested to hear any comments on the string tracking or lack thereof

this one is a slightly different angle from about 20 minutes before the above vids. I got too pissed and had to stop for a while etc lol. This one seems to show pretty small motions etc. I see it goes to an inside lick going to the higher string, I wonder if i cheated to get that lol

These are better clips than last time, thanks for posting. In general, keep things short and limited to a specific topic when possible. Thirty seconds is usually enough to highlight one phrase or technique. Any longer and people start throwing in other phrases and narration it’s hard to know what to comment on.

In general you’re using a wrist-based picking motion with a downstroke escape. The motion appears to be in the 8-2 o’clock range, or what we call the “reverse dart thrower” range of motions. But it could also be 9-3 deviation. Hard to tell without seeing more of the other side of the arm. Either way that’s kind of academic becauase the motion path is clear: downstroke escape. Your grip is what creates the appearance of the “upward pickslant”. These two items, motion and pick attack, are linked but semi-independent. Looking at the pick is not the best way to understand the motion - looking at the motion path is much clearer.

You figured out this stuff on your own, before watching our stuff? Nice job. Everyone’s a little bit of a “natural” at some level, just that some are more so than others.

There is no “dwps” in the string skip phrase that I can see. If you watch this in slow motion you’ll see you’re not picking the last note on the top string. All escapes are downstrokes, so no change in escape trajectory is needed. Anything you feel in your fingers isn’t altering the picking motion. It’s probably just what it feels like to you to move the pick across the distance of the skipped string.

Again, the motion path of the pick and its appearance in your grip are two separate things. If the pick traps on the upstroke and escapes on the downstroke, you have a downstroke escape motion no matter what the pick looks like and no matter what it feels like to do it.

In the new material we’re filming for the Pickslanting Primer we’re trying to make super clear, in plain English, the distinction between arm setup, picking motion, and pick attack - which is really what pickslanting controls. These parts are all connected and the interaction can be complicated but we’ll have some new stuff up shortly.

In the mean time, since you’re good at downstroke escape, I’d pick out some cool downstroke escape phrases, and see how you do with those. You should pretty much be able to do them right away. No need to go all drill sergeant on exercises and only work on them X minutes per day for Y repetitions. Variety is good and gives your motor system more to work with. Just incorporate some of these phrases into your free-form playing around, but do try to do them completely with all the notes picked if you can.

Here are a couple selections:

2 Likes

ok, thanks for the detailed response.

No I never said I figured this stuff out on my own. My playing pre-CTC (late 2014) would never have had any such scale vibe to it. Right now im just a mish mosh of new ideas and old bad habits etc. Steep learning curve. im sort of “in between” a lot of different techniques ATM

Its interesting that you say my playing is “downard escape” yet is NOT uwps? Im not even going to pretend that isnt confusing

I think the nature of these particular vids leaned hard towards “downward escape” because (to me anyway) I held the pick uwps style. thats sort of what ive worked on lately and especially on tremolo picking.

Yet there are also examples of going to a lower (D to A for example) string with a downstroke. Thats not downward escape lol.

what would you call this? this is a pick set for uwps yet im going from G to D with a downstroke? I see that my “2 way” in this clip isnt really “2 way”…its more of uwps and then lesser uwps. So how am I getting to the D string then? is it thumb retraction helping or just a smaller string hop? at what speed is a stringhop not a stringhop?

in any case there HAVE to be examples of dwps, or upwards escape present in my playing because I often can feel that im stuck or backwards in trying to go to the higher string. if it were ALL downward escape then id never feel stuck going to a higher string would I?

Not so far as I can see. Again, I didn’t watch every second of every video in slow motion. But for example in this clip right here, you are doing what I said you are doing, which is not picking the last note on the upper string. This makes both strings downstroke escape.

I see that you are sometimes making grip adjustments while you do this, even though it isn’t affecting your motion. i.e. In those instances, you are still downstroke escaping even though your pick appears to no longer have its upward pickslant.

So, in other words…

…there you have it. The pickslant and the picking motion are two different things. Where a lot of people get confused is that pickslant and picking motion are both affected by arm position. So it can sometimes appear that doing the one is exactly equivalent to doing the other. However pickslant is also affected by grip, whereas the path of your picking motion isn’t really affected by grip. So it is indeed possible, within limits that grip can control, to have an escape trajectory with a pickslant that you wouldn’t expect. We see this occasionally in Andy Wood and Molly Tuttle’s playing, who can both do downstroke escape lines with what appears to be a downward pickslant. It can also explain why sometimes players complain that the pick feels like it catches on certain pickstrokes and not others: the pickslant (and other grip attributes) need to be aligned with the picking motion for optimal smoothness of attack.

Re: calling you a “downstroke escape” player, it’s a bit of a shorthand. There may very well be moments in your playing where you achieve upstroke escape. Again, I haven’t watched every frame of every one of these videos. But in what I’ve watched, when you click into your “go fast” mode of continuous alternate picking, it’s downstroke escape. This appears to be the motion you know how to make best, and you’re choosing it, at some level, over others.

This is common. Andy Wood for example, does not actually appear to have a continuous upstroke escape picking motion. Or if he does, he doesn’t use it very often. He has downstroke escape, and he has a couple varieties of double escape, which he uses for upstroke string changes. But if you just ask him to play something simple and fast on a single string, which I did in our various interviews as a test, what he does is downstroke escape. And when you ask him to play lines that require continuous upstroke escape, like pentatonics, he reverses the picking to make them downstroke escape lines without realizing he’s doing it. Downstroke escape is his default picking motion.

Ergo, since you’re starting to get the downstroke escape motion down, and you’ve adjusted your grip so that it sounds good and smooth, why not fly with that? I would not bother with the “two way pickslant” stuff right now. Instead, if it were me, I’d try some of the all-downstroke-escape phrases I linked to, and see if you can get them nice and smooth across all six strings with no unintentional legato or momentary spaz-outs. Learning to do any of these motions with smoothness and consistency for longer periods is the next step after just learning to do the motion itself.

In other words, the difference between the beginner and the expert isn’t so much speed as it is smoothness and endurance. A beginner can do a hyperpicking motion on day one by dumb luck, and lose it a second or two later and stop. I’ve seen it and filmed it. But it’s going to take time to get to John Taylor levels of doing it immediatley, on command, and keeping it up for 30 seconds straight with perfect pick attack on every note. So creating longer lines where you know only one, simple picking motion is needed is a great way to start down that road, and allows you to work on hand synchronization at the same time too. That’s what I did when I was first getting all this together.

Again, the downstroke escape motion looks good and you have a solid foundation here. Nice work. I’d jump on what’s working and polish it up nice and shiny.

4 Likes