Bill Hall…A Bit of Shredding With A Trailing Edge Grip On My Electric

I used to use a trailing edge grip when I first started picking and switched to a more normal grip after a couple of years. I remember I really liked the feel and tone of picking with a trailing edge grip and decided to see what it would feel like all these years later….and I like it! I am kind of slicing through the strings when I do it…as compared to the other way I hold the pick, which is more straight on. One thing I noticed it the everything lines up really nice doing it this way with the string tracking. Everything is really nice and tight timing wise.

Also…crosspicking things seem even easier for me doing it this way. It’s neat how the pick just moves around the strings this way. Really fun to play!

Here is a little video I made yesterday using trailing edge picking. I am playing a Kramer replica through an old ADA mp1 preamp.

2 Likes

Sounds great! :fire: Do you think you will stick to trailing edge now seen as some things are feeling a bit easier?

1 Like

Thank you @jptk! Yes…I think I will use this grip and see how it develops. My mechanics are the same….but I like how this angle lines up with my picking motions. The tone sounds really nice on my acoustic also. Very articulate.

1 Like

What about your other motions @Bill_hall ? In your interview with Troy you showed us EJ fives and also some cross picking. Does your trailing edge grip work with those also? Great playing as per usual BTW

1 Like

That’s awesome, I look forward to seeing how you progress with this!

It’s great that even after years of playing and practice, little breakthroughs can still happen

1 Like

Thanks, @joebegly! All the different motions I do feel great with a trailing edge grip. The Eric Johnson fives feel just as smooth as the other way and the cross picking feels a bit better than the other way. My mechanics haven’t changed at all. I am having fun with it. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Yes, @jptk….I am always tweaking things and trying get better and more musical. It is fun to keep learning new ways to do new and old things.

1 Like