Bill Hall Electric Solo Improv Going Full Elbow On My Old Aria Pro 2

Hello, Everyone! I thought I would share a bit of solo improv on my 1985 Aria Pro 2 electric. I hadn’t played my electric in a little while because I have been playing so much on my nylon string. It was fun to plug in and go full elbow picking through an amp with some gain, :slightly_smiling_face:.

2 Likes

Pretty rippin’! I love your acoustic stuff but it always makes me want to hear some electric playing from you :slight_smile: Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Sounding great! I think your form appears quite similar to Vinne Moore.

My elbow experiments failed horribly :sweat_smile: , but you tend to make it look easy

1 Like

Nice work! Your form really is pretty similar to Vinnie’s, down to the switch to wrist motion for the alt picked arpeggio stuff. I would bet there are probably other “Vinnie-esque” players out there. Which means we can probably think of this particular form as a complete picking style in the same way that we think of Gypsy jazz as being a sum-of-the-parts type of thing.

3 Likes

Thank you so much, @joebegly! I really appreciate it! :slightly_smiling_face:

Thank you, @jptk! I love Vinnie’ s playing! I playing this way with my elbow trying to cop Yngwie licks and in 1987 I saw Vinnie giving a clinic and I noticed he used his elbow to play fast lines so I just built upon what I was already doing….I figured if it worked for him I was into something. He definitely was a huge influence!

1 Like

Thank you so much @Troy! I really appreciate it! When we did the interview together you made a comment about how this style of picking can be thought of as a pronated style of picking where elbow was just one component and it is made up of a few different movements including wrist to make everything work together. I think you really hit on a good way to think of it! It really is a blend that makes it all work,

1 Like