Bill Hall Two String Picking Licks Lesson Vinnie Moore, Di Meola Style

Hello, Everyone! I thought I would share this little lesson video I did for my YouTube Channel showing how I play two string alternate picking sequences. Thanks for watching! :slight_smile:

14 Likes

Great stuff! :clap: Super crisp and clean playing! :+1:

3 Likes

Yeah this is awesome, thanks for posting this @Bill_hall . Can you talk a little bit about your strategy on string changing? For example, that Gilbert lick. Since you’ve got a pretty visible elbow mechanic we can assume DSX. This makes the change from the B string to the E string a piece of cake…but when you immediately go back to the B string we’re trapped. We need something…swiping…tiny wrist/forearm or finger movement to make that USX change

Can you tell what you’re doing here? I’m wondering because I’ve recently discovered, with Troy’s help, that elbow is my natural mechanic, so I’m rolling with that and momentarily scrapping my USX quest. I can figure out plenty of pure DSX licks to play as I work on my speed, but licks like this will inevitably come up and I’ll need a strategy. I know what my options are, just really curious what you’ve chosen since you’ve clearly “got it” :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you so much, @AndreasNasman!

Thank you @joebegly! I really do not do anything different when I am crossing strings with outside string changes where I pick down on the 2nd string, up on the 1st string and back to a down on the 2nd string…so I guess I am swiping the string when coming back. Sometimes I can here it if my left hand isn’t fretting perfectly, lol. I never feel like I am swiping though…it is not something I practiced doing. I am using the same motion both ways…I never really change anything for high speeds with the way I have setup my faster runs. Medium speeds I do things a bit different and it is less elbow and more of a double escape motion, but I just blend the motions without really thinking about it when I am changing speeds. I would say if you are using an elbow mechanic I would try and go for the timing and keeping everything in sync and pretend the string your crossing to isn’t even there, lol. I think good things will happen if you really go for the timing and keeping everything in sync. I know I have heard Troy say the same thing. II feel that my left hand motion is really the key to how I play these licks…keeping the left hand smooth and playing everything as a phrase in time and the right hand just sort of motors along. :slight_smile: I hope that helps! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yep, great response @Bill_hall that does make sense! I think, as you pointed out, I’ve read Troy saying similar stuff. Move your hands fast, don’t worry about what strings are in the way and once you get the coordination down it will all just take care of itself. Thanks again for the post!

1 Like

Thanks! Have fun trying it out! :slight_smile:

I liked the post already but I want to say that is exactly how I want my acoustic playing to sound, I find it most excellent. Great work and thanks for the expanded information.

2 Likes

Dang! So consistant! Every note is crisp and effortless. Thanks for the video.

1 Like

Thank you everyone! I really appreciate it! :slight_smile:

Awesome technique, tone and rhythm sounds killer too!

1 Like