Bill Hall's new video

I’m pretty sure that I’ve tapped into these motions on the top-end of my dart thrower motion picking, and I think it’s what @Tom_Gilroy has pointed out as a motion originating in the rotator cuff.

4 Likes

It’s cool to see @Bill_hall is excited about this.

I will try to write up a longer response covering the points and questions Bill raises in this video, it’s a long video and he has a lot of questions which could spark some interesting discussion.

3 Likes

I don’t quite understand what he’s getting at, but he has hit upon something.

Gah, alright, I’m really, sincerely not trying to be a jerk in any way, and I think anything he may have discovered that controlled his focal dystonia is fantastic and worthy of discussion, but the demonstration of picking + fretting starting around 39:21 just has more notes fretted than picked. It’s almost like what Uli does during the scalar runs in the Sails of Charon opening solo: triplets where the middle note is legato, while the other two are picked. Not quite that consistent, but along the same lines.

This does not invalidate it as a technique! It’s just not all picked.

1 Like

We need magnet footage!

Cool video. I don’t know if it’s the same thing, but a friend of mine has this way he does tremolo picking where he basically vibrates his arm or hand, and it’s disgustingly fast and really consistent. I never really thought of trying to learn it, but it’s always been on my mind. Talking to him about it, and he says he can’t really use it for anything (has he tried? Not sure…).

My legato playing has always been much superior to anything I could ever pick, and I think my LH position is similar to what you have there. I used to play Elbow (And still can) but mostly now it’s pronated with RDT (I think).

So is it basically you are vibrating the RH against the strings? Would love to hear see more thoughts on this.

Just gave this a try and think @Bill_hall might be onto something.

First, I tried my usual trailing edge grip and it’s the first time in a very long time that I feel this comfortable with sixes at ~130 bpm:

But what really surprised me is that I was able to pick fast with a leading edge grip:

Just like Bill, I don’t know what I’m doing or if it sounds any good but I can tell the motion is fast and comfortable.

3 Likes