Bluegrass players

Hello. I’m new and a cross picking wantabe. I can’t find any discussion of Molly Tuttle’s technique differences to David Grier or Carl Miner.

1 Like

Hi! The Molly Tuttle interview is brand new so we haven’t produced any analysis features on her yet. In a nutshell, she is like David and not like Carl.

Molly’s lead-playing form is a pronated or “upward pickslanting” wrist-driven crosspicking technique, with an additional finger motion component that David does not have, or does not have to the same degree. Molly’s technique is very similar to what we’re seeing from Gary Moore in the jazz clip right here:

You can see the anchoring is at the thumb heel, the forearm is flat to the guitar body, and the fingers are up in the air. We’ll cover these techniques in more detail eventually, but for the time being, that’s your starting point!

1 Like

Troy, I’m back. Thank you for concentrating on crosspicking. I really thought it was a longshot in that most of the guitar players here don’t play bluegrass. Now that you are delving into it I am excited about my future and maybe I’ll be able to get better at it. Thanks again.

1 Like