Bobby Koelble from Death

Great player, commented on our reverse dart video and thanked us for profiling Chuck Schuldiner. Bobby played in Death with Chuck and did a bunch of cool solos on their landmark album “Symbolic”.

Just as an example, here’s Bobby playing through one of his solos from the song “Symbolic”. Cool use of the Washburn EC29 guitar, which you don’t see very often:

Awesome jazz-like lead work there. True enough looks like Bobby does mostly jazz nowadays from his YT channel.

13 Likes

Very cool!

Speaking of Death an interview with Paul Masvidal or Andy LaRocque would be amazing.

“Human” is by far my favorite Death album Paul and Sean (RIP) brought something special to that one.

Andy LaRoque is criminally underrated imo he’s in that Criss Oliva camp of the people that know know.

2 Likes

I saw Bobby play with Death To All a few months ago, impressively tight playing and great tone, what more can you ask for.

I also saw him on the original Death To All tour, like 10 or so years ago, which was really interesting ‘cause there was like 11 or so different members of Death rotating in and out of the stage and the guitarists didn’t share rigs so their tones were especially disparate. Bobby had the rawest & dryest tone of all, memory might be failing me but I wanna say it was just straight into a JCM800?

2 Likes

Killer playing! He makes it look effortless :fire::love_you_gesture:

1 Like

Bobby is a masterful guitarist. He was playing an EB/MM Petrucci model when I saw Death to All last March (on my birthday, no less!). Chuck, despite being no slouch of a lead player himself, always had a habit of finding an even better lead player to be his co-guitar. James Murphy, Paul Masvidal, Andy Larocque (studio session only), and Bobby were all doing things in Death Metal that were so above and beyond the standard for the time.

1 Like

Chuck had some of the best taste in lead players he had a talent like Dave Mustaine for finding exceptional talent.

1 Like

Calling a band that is kind of a turn off I’m sure for some people.

As is the music itself.

edit: Which I’m a huge fan of just to be clear.

1 Like

I saw death on their last show in Atlanta Georgia in 1999. They were phenomenal. Shannon Hamm is a great guitarist also.

1 Like