Brett Garsed - Monster Player - CTC dissection

Has CTC contacted Brett Garsed?

A close up dissection of his seminal Legato/Hybrid technique would be awesome!

Brett is a great guy! I’m sure he was be enthusiastic about the idea.

1 Like

Comments below are based on some clips I checked out online. The bit above looks like tons of tapping plus some hybrid picking.

Interesting sounds. This is my first time encountering his work.

Lots of Gambale-esque sweeps, and lots of hybrid picking. Alternate-picked stuff looks to me like lightly supinated wrist-based DSX, similar to Andy Wood. From the clips I watched, his musical sensibility is very Gambale-esque as well.

1 Like

He has this master class DVD I highly recommend, there’s a version of Foo Fighter that’s incredible. I’ve been a fan since I heard him on the Mike Varney Project with Gambale and Shawn Lane, it’s still is inhuman.

Some nice applications of the table tapping test around 1:08 :smiley:

1 Like

I am a huge fan of Brett Garsed.

I loved his solo albums, his earlier work with T.J. Helmerich and his appearances on Derek Sherinian/Planet X albums.

I’ve also studied his phrasing and technique.

2 Likes

Tbh I think a lot of his technique has been discussed in the ‘reverse hammer-on’ / allan holdsworth thread but… he’s also an awesome slide player!

1 Like

I can’t quite recall everything I wrote in that thread, it’s possible I may have some information about his fretting hand techniques that I didn’t include in my posts there.

His slide playing is incredible.

I started listening to Brett when I was about fifteen. I love his slide playing but I didn’t put any time into studying it specifically, I was more focused on his legato and his phrasing.

A few years later, shortly after the release of Erotic Cakes, Guthrie Govan did a free performance/lesson stream for Lick Library. One of the things he talked about was slide playing. He said that while he plays with the slide on his little finger, if her were to start again he’d learn to play with the slide on his middle finger, the way Brett does. He felt it was superior because it allows Brett to fret above and below the slide, and allows him to slant the slide to create different intervals. I thought that was a pretty convincing argument.

A few more years later, I was suffereing with severe tendinitis in both wrists, due to typing my thesis with poor typing technique. I couldn’t comfortably play guitar the way I previously had, so I decided to learn to play some slide guitar. I took heed of Guthrie’s advice and tried to emulate Brett’s slide technique as much as possible. I was able to do this without discomfort.

I wouldn’t claim to be a great slide player, but it kept me engaged with the guitar at a time where I would otherwise have been unable to play at all.

Also, Brett’s instructional videos are quite good, and they give some interesting insights into his playing.

1 Like

Brett’s REH video, I hope that it’s legally posted:

1 Like

instead of posting a new topic, I thought I would post this here. This is the best Brett Garsed CtC approved angle I have ever seen.

4 Likes