Cackalacky Strum Bum

Sometimes social media can actually be good. I saw an item on Facebook about the Molly Tuttle video and clicked through. I was instantly impressed.

I’ve been playing music for 20+ years, primarily a bass player (fingers, not pick) so when I started playing guitar I wasn’t much more than a strum bum. It’s only in the past 2-3 years that I’ve really started to develop my guitar playing. I recently moved from Denver to Durham, NC and I’ve started really working at the six-string with my primary efforts being on my right hand. I started guitar lessons and I’ve made some progress, and I’ve always been very interested/concerned with the right hand mechanics, but it’s been a slower go than I’d hoped.

I feel like my right hand is really holding me back in a lot of ways and I’m hoping to change that. My primary concern has been on accuracy (followed by fluidity). I always tend to hit more strings, or the wrong string, with my right hand than I what I want (or meant) to play. Speed would be nice, but really accuracy is my priority. I figure that speed will come once the mechanics are down.

A former bandmate recounted an interaction he had with the great Tony Rice years ago where he asked Rice about his right hand. Apparently, Rice told him that the pick should be held at a 30 degree angle (and to use a tortoise shell pick). I’ve thought a lot about this angle thing in the past year or so and just couldn’t wrap my head around the mechanics behind it. I’m hoping that this site will help with that!

Full disclosure, I’m not a shredder at all. I’m a Dead Head, primarily, and love jam bands, among a wide array of other styles (bluegrass, Americana, folk, country, rock, Celtic, blues, etc.). I play acoustic guitar; I have a Martin DRS-2, strung with extra light Martin SP strings (.10-.47). My current music project is called Squirrel Lever, and I’ve been on the look out for a lead player to cover for my limitations. But if I can get my right hand, well… right, then maybe I won’t need to. We’ll see how things go.

2 Likes

Hey man welcome aboard from a Carolina boy (who hasn’t lived back in the States for over 20 years, but still)…

I’ve seen great results from the practice I’ve put in on the Volcano series and am having fun – what I am enjoying is loading up the tab in Guitar Pro and working up the tempo. I still get excited when I hit a new tempo cleanly! It adds a little “gamification” to practice.

Add in some in-person lessons and you got yourself a guitar stew cooking!

Keep practicing and having fun!

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum!

If you want to learn about picking technique, there is really no better place, so I’m sure you will get something out of the experience here.

Honestly, that sounds to me like a typical case, where he takes a single aspect from what he does (or what he thinks he does), probably because it’s the most obvious thing, and then tells everybody to do the same thing. Don’t get me wrong, I am a big fan of Tony Rice, he’s incredible. But if it was that easy, than a lot of people wouldn’t have the problems they have. So I would take that with a big grain of salt.

Having said that, the amount of edge picking and the choice of a pick is something that get’s disussed here on the forum and in Troys videos. Definitely something worth experimenting with.

If you want to get a good overview of the different aspects of picking technique, I would recommend this video:

https://troygrady.com/channels/talking-the-code/introduction-to-picking-motion/

See you around!

1 Like