Can anyone offer me advice on transcribing?

I would like to start transcribing more licks and solos that interested me and I come here seeking advice on how to improve my transcribing.

What are some general tips?

I know @JakeEstner and the mighty @JBakerman are members here.

i have a copy of Transcribe and I mostly use it to slow down songs when I"m learning them.

I do use it to do some figuring out of licks, but at a very basic level. I tend not to write anything down as I can pretty much get the feel of it once I have it under my fingers and all the notes worked out.

Do yous use headphones when listening to the tracks?

Do you not have your guitar with you, and instead use a midi piano? I recall seeing a video of a guy transcribing some jazz licks and he was using an on screen midi keyboard to work out the notes. He was very good at it too.

Do you run your audio files through any audio seperation software such as Spleeter, to try and extract the guitar tracks?

Any tips / advice / help would be great!

Awesome transcribers. Donā€™t forget about @LuckyMojo heā€™s done some amazing work too.

Iā€™m not at the level of any of those 3 but Iā€™ve done tons of transcribing as I used to be a guitar teacher full time for a little over 10 years. The method I used was having people bring in anything they liked and Iā€™d show them how to play it. It kept them motivated at least. Doing things a lot tends to make people good at it, so I think I was at least ā€œproficientā€ by the end of it.

I had a rather crude setup, but I did have a unit that allowed removing of the center channel. This was great for figuring rhythm guitars as they are typically panned hard right and left. It also had a crappy eq feature that would roll off the bass, which helped when transcribing solos. Of course speed manipulation as well. Iā€™m sure there are way better tools now, but something like that will help in identifying pitches.

Regarding doing it without a guitar, Iā€™d say it depends on your goal. If you consider the groundbreaking discoveries of CtC, where notes are fretted are critical because it jives with the picking escape plan the guitarist is using. You could have the pitches all correct, but if you donā€™t have the notes in the proper fret location you could very well be wasting your time trying to play something thatā€™s nearly unplayable. I have to constantly remind myself that for the most part, the greats play things that feel ā€˜naturalā€™ to them. I know there are some that go out of their way to challenge themselves. But typically, if it feels impossible, itā€™s probably not correct.

1 Like

For me, the biggest key for transcribing is that I need to be able to sing the note/lick/interval. This implies that my mind has really heard the note, unfettered of my own thoughts and the musical context around the note. For notes that are too high/low, singing them an octave higher or lower is fine, or just imagining the tone. Imagining the tone is tougher, but still good.

Try it out, pick something you donā€™t know, and listen to it as many times as you need to. Break it up if needed. But you should still be able to sing it.

If you can sing it, you can play it. Sometimes singing is really, really tough, in which case, see if you can imagine the notes under your fingers as you move them in your mind. Then transcription is just writing down the positions that youā€™ve already worked out.

Cheers! z

(Also useful, if not obvious: start with the big picture ā€“ what keys and chords, what rhythms, etc ā€“ first, before you get into the nitty-gritty. Sometimes knowing that itā€™s a D Major chord underneath the melody will help your ear hear that elusive F# that you canā€™t quite nail down. z)

2 Likes

Since I was summonedā€¦

My process for transcribing is mostly based on listening and visualization. I listen to the recording a lot, loop the tricky parts, and picture how I would be playing it if I were Yngwie or something. Itā€™s basically just advanced air guitar. I almost never have an instrument in hand when transcribing. Iā€™m just relying on aural feedback from the notation software. Sometimes Iā€™m using visual feedback from the video performance - but thatā€™s mostly for confirming my best estimate about positioning and certain playing techniques.

As far as tools Iā€™m using, mostly just Soundslice these days. I like that the workspace and the finished product are the same thing basically, and it has 95% of the features I need in transcribing guitar techniques and syncing to audio/video recording. I just use the recorded mix, itā€™s very rare that a studio recording has a guitar part that is unclear to transcribe. I also like having the other aural guideposts like the bass and drums to anchor what the guitar part is doing harmonically and rhythmically.

Iā€™ve used Capo in the past, for analyzing a recording and looping/slowing down sections - but I donā€™t find as much of a need for it now. You might find the auto-harmonic analysis useful to provide hints to the chord progression - but itā€™s not 100% accurate and sometimes chord changes are subjective.

So Iā€™m sure my process is not the most typical one for players who are copping licks off records since records became a thing. It seems like the common denominator for people who get good is trial and error, and lots of practice with transcribing, either through writing notation or playing the instrument directly (probably a bit of both). Donā€™t be afraid to make mistakes, and keep moving forward.

3 Likes

Headphones: Often Iā€™ll listen through monitors at first, just to not always be wearing headphones. Eventually phones get used for checking things more carefully, or at least a final listen.

Instrument while transcribing: I rarely pick up a guitar or have a real keyboard powered up. Sibelius plays MIDI as you click on or add/move notes, and I find thatā€™s enough of a pitch reference when needed.

Spleeter: Iā€™ve run a few songs through it to see what happens. It seems more useful for hearing certain vocal or drum things than actually isolating guitar.

For most listening I use Amazing Slow Downer. (I donā€™t think the slowdown quality of Transcribe! is quite as good.) Riffstation has some interesting mute/solo ability based on pan location but I still use ASDā€™s karaoke function (which keeps the result stereo) more, which is nice for hearing things like doubled rhythm parts panned L/R.

2 Likes

Iā€™m not 100% bothered about having every single note correct. As long as I can try to capture to general musical ā€œshapeā€ of the line, then I am happy!

I have a programme on my Mac called Sonic Visualiser and a plug in called Chordino to estimate the chords. Itā€™s all a free setup and is reasonably accurate. I would use it to check that I have the chords right on a tune.

@JBakerman - any reason you donā€™t use a guitar when transcribing? Do you find it easier to just work with the midi notes?

Many thanks all!

I basically use relative pitch and (most of the time) figure out notes quickly enough that the speed limit is my Sibelius note-entering ability. So, moving away from keyboard/mouse and playing something on guitar ends up being extra time that doesnā€™t change the end result. Often Iā€™ll also mute the Sibelius MIDI to not obscure the actual music, or to listen to something else when engraving details like slides, bends, bar use, etc.

2 Likes

Itā€™s essential to me

Both actually. Pianoroll helps find the notes if I have no clue where to look for them on my guitar, and also you can program them on the spot and see how they play together (especially useful if there multiple voices).

No, but I do try using eq, listening in mono and flipping phases on the channels.

1 Like

Sorry, I forgot to mention the most important thing (for me).
As it happened, I have been learning songs that there are no tabs whatsoever for - not even incorrect ones (see my Akhlys related posts for further info).

The first thing you want to do, is to find out the tuning. Watching live gigs of the band you are transcribing is very useful in this regard, as it gives you a visual cue (itā€™s also useful in transcribing in general - to an extent, more on that later).
If there are no videos from concerts, then we have to do it the hard way - compare the material (I would suggest listening to the whole album thoroughly) and look for the lowest note played.
Example - my last cover, Akhlysā€™s Breath and Levitation, has the lowest note of F# - the same as 2nd fret on E string in standard tuning. Technically, it is playable in E standard. However Consummation, another track from the same album, has the lowest note of D#. We now know we are not in E standard territory.
Playing the song in D# would be difficult due to fingering - itā€™s not just a power chord (5th) but two notes in an octave moving up and down, meaning that it would be inpractical to use D#. We are looking at D standard at least.
Then if we listen close we will find that most of the songs - if not all - are in fact in B and E minor scales, or harmonic minor (Tides of oneiric darkness for example - the opening riff is B harmonic minor, Brearth and levitation - E minor I guess). Most players tend to stick to using the same scale patterns regardless of tuning, so we may deduce the tuning is B standard, and looking at the only one or two live performances we know that for certain.

Once we know we are in tune or at least our tuning allows to play the song, me may focus on transcribing, and I personally do it by ear.
I tried using Anthem Score once, but there is just too much harmonic content for it to be useful.There is just no way around listening.
The more you are familiar with your fretboard the better and quicker you will be at identifying notes.
Listen for intervals, does it sound like a 5th, or maybe a 3rd?
Itā€™s extremely helpful to know the artistā€™s tendencies and a tiny bit of theory being in use.
Example: you hear opening riff has a B power chord, but there is something off about it for a moment.
Maybe itā€™s augmented and itā€™s not a perfect 5th, but the artistā€™s raising it to a minor 6th?
Then say there is a melody playing - given we know the key and mode of the song (for example E minor) we are able to predict which notes are used in the melody. This way instead of 12 notes you choose from just 7 or 5.

Itā€™s all down to some knowlegde and practice, but mostly to hearing. You may know nothing about music theory, but still be able to pick up whatā€™s played as long as you are good at listening.

As I said, watching gigs may be very helpful, but also misleading - live version is not necessarily identical to studio version, especially if there are more than two guitar voices present in studio version.
Just listen and compare and youā€™ll be ok.

1 Like

I highly recommend you take a lesson or two with master transcriber Levi Clay. Iā€™ve had a few lessons with him myself, to learn some of the tricks and tools of the trade, and found that super helpful.

If you donā€™t want a lesson you can also check out his youtube channel where he does monthly live streams of transcriptions.

1 Like

Excellent point - I have never thought about transcribing like this!

@Rot great advice, thank you!

I saw Levi Clay mentioned here whoā€™s undoubtedly of the greats when it comes to transcribing and I heard him say something along the lines of it being important to know the habits and quirks of the player youā€™re transcribing to really nail what theyā€™re playing - finer details like where in the fretboard theyā€™re playing that phrase, which fingers theyā€™re fretting with, etcetera. A pretty well known one round these parts might be EJ pretty much never using his pinkie unless absolutely necessary, so knowing that helps a lot with guessing how heā€™s fretting licks although heā€™s notoriously tough to nail as he often plays phrases in really weird ways that are mechanically very inefficient.

However if youā€™re just trying to get the general idea of a phrase, being able to hear the notes in your head and sing it out without a guitar in your hands is definitely huge. Iā€™ve never had any issues transcribing single note stuff provided itā€™s not so fast that the individual notes arenā€™t distinguishable for one another - sometimes I find slowing the phrase down too slow actually makes it harder to figure out to me for some reason. Maybe cuz when itā€™s at a reasonable tempo youā€™re figuring the phrase out considering not only the correct notes but the easiest way to play them at tempo.

1 Like

The problem with me and singing is that Iā€™m am absolutely terrible at it lol!

Well, plenty of people donā€™t like the way their own voice sounds. Even worst case and youā€™re correct, are you just not pleased with the sound of your voice, or is your pitch just all over the place? Singing phrases in the context of transcribing only requires decent pitch :slight_smile:

1 Like

My pitch is all over the place. terrible!

I have been thinking about transcribing, and I think a good way to brush up on skills, and to practice skills, is to go for jazz players. Very little string bending and their phrasing is a little more straightforward than rock players.

Oh, hey! Only just seeing this now.

I highly recommend soundslice to simplify workflow. One window for audio + notation. Small learning curve. Corey just put up a new demo here . You can see videos of me transcribing with it here and here.

And more misc. transcriptions at my soundslice channel, here.

(This is assuming you want to document/write down what youā€™re transcribing. If youā€™re not going to write anything down, soundsliceā€™s advantage isnā€™t as significant.)

I could comment on this just that it depends on what your goal is with the transcription. Iā€™d say in general itā€™s good to be able to notate things, but the priority level depends on a lot of factors. For whatever itā€™s worth, when Iā€™m struggling with something (especially rhythmically) I like to write it down so that I donā€™t have to just keep hoping Iā€™ll remember.

I guess I could argue thereā€™s a push pull because letā€™s say for the same quantity of music, the more you write down, the less you have to use your ears, but the faster youā€™ll produce a finished, playable product, and also the more accurate the transcription will be. The less you write down, the more you have to internalize the vocabulary/concepts (which is a good thing) but if the goal is simply to be able to play verbatim the thing youā€™re listening to, in the end this could take a lot more time and be a lot less accurate, assuming the vocabulary in the clip is stuff thatā€™s challenging for you.

Do yous use headphones when listening to the tracks?

Pretty much always. If thereā€™s a very clear mix, and/or Iā€™m only trying to figure out an instrument thatā€™s a higher register, I might just use the speakers but pretty much never laptop speakers or iphone speakers unless itā€™s like a tin whistle or something.

Do you not have your guitar with you, and instead use a midi piano?

Basically neither. Iā€™ll often have my guitar on my lap but find myself only using it if Iā€™m not confident in something. Even then, since Iā€™m inputting notation into soundslice, I usually have it set so that as I type in a note, the computer plays that note back. So if i enter the wrong note Iā€™ll hear it right away.

Now, that part is more in the long-term skill department - through a combination of things Iā€™ve worked on over the years, Iā€™ve gotten pretty quick with simply just knowing what something is on a first listen. For a melodic line (one note at a time,) hearing groups of 3-4 notes is pretty simple and I usually can identify most sets/sequences on a first listen unless itā€™s something more dense or complicated.

But when youā€™re newer to all this and not confident youā€™re doing things correctly, I think itā€™s fine to check stuff on guitar, sing it, engage the midi playback, whatever, to be sure youā€™re hearing what you think youā€™re hearing.

With transcribing, itā€™s super easy to make mistakes and not realize youā€™re making mistakes. To that point, itā€™s funny that in that old Wes video I linked to earlier in this post, I actually got the very first note wrong. I just got it in my head that he was starting F to G and didnā€™t really check it enough times, and for some reason throughout the vid I just accepted that that was the note and it didnā€™t catch my attention until later.

Since Iā€™m often transcribing stuff for lessons, and often teaching the same tunes, Iā€™m very frequently forced to review transcriptions Iā€™ve made and Iā€™ll typically hear new things every time, or mistakes from earlier versions. Consider that, if Iā€™m a ā€œgoodā€ transcriber, and still able to find mistakes in my own transcriptions each time I go over them (whether theyā€™re from yesterday or from 15 years ago) then when youā€™re new to it, thereā€™s definitely just going to be tons of stuff youā€™re not going to be hearing correctly, tons of details youā€™ll inevitibly miss, etc. Itā€™s just part of the nature of the whole thing; we can hear what we can hear. And a transcription is really only ā€œdoneā€ when you just say ā€œok f*** it, this is probably good enoughā€ because you can always go over it and over it and over itā€¦

Itā€™s up to you how accurate and detailed you want to be, for whatever purposes youā€™re getting into transcription.

By the way, a tip on building accuracy and building your ears in general: If you find there is a certain type of thing thatā€™s much harder for you to transcribe accurately (maybe chromaticism, maybe larger chords, maybe lines with bigger intervals, maybe funk rhythms, etc) I think itā€™s useful to isolate that skill with some sort of more formal/structured ear training, programs like iwasdoingallright.com can be very good and useful.

Example: the first time I ever tried transcribing jazz guitar voicings I had absolutely no idea what I was listening for and basically had zero confidence in what 75% on the notes were. But at that time I hadnā€™t done much ear training with more basic things like triad inversions and other more basic 3 note chord structures, so hearing these rapidly moving, complex 4 note chords voiced with lots of slides, it was a bit futile. I needed more ammunition! Um, aural ammunication? (Band name?)

Do you run your audio files through any audio seperation software such as Spleeter, to try and extract the guitar tracks?

No but only because Iā€™m not really familiar, havenā€™t dabbled. I do often use EQ and panning to try to dig into what I want more.

Hope that helps!

2 Likes

@JakeEstner Jake, amazing post, thank you so much!

One question - how do you deal with fast played lines, where the note are pretty squashed up together?

Just watching your Levi Clay challenge and you are fast at this!

Hmm, Iā€™m not 100% sure what you mean, but I can say Iā€™ll adjust the speed of the playback for sure, which you can do on soundslice and transcribe, and Iā€™ll do as few notes at a time as I need to to get it. For example, whether itā€™s something super fast or super slow, Iā€™ll adjust playback speed and try to grab just a few notes at a time. The more familiar the sequences are, the more notes I can usually do at once, and conversely of course the more dense and complex it is, the fewer notes Iā€™ll do at once. So in some cases Iā€™m going one note at a time.

The only problem I run into with speed is sometimes itā€™s fast enough that slow down features garble the pitches a bit, which I guess is probably less of an issue with higher fidelity recordings.

1 Like

Bumping this after 2 years!

Iā€™m working more on chords. Are there any general tips when it comes to transcribing chords?

Iā€™ve been listening to a lot of kpop as I am fascinated with how well some of the songs are composed. There seem to be modulations and chord substutions in a modern pop context. Really good stuff.

Hereā€™s an example:

For a start, I cheat and load the song into either Sonic Visualiser or download from Youtube and put it through spleeter to isolate the backing and the bass. Itā€™s quite hard to work out some of the voicings.

Here is what chordify says -

Here are the chords I have:

Any hints or tips would be greatly appreciated.