Can you share a swiping chunk?

This is something I know I lack totally, so I’m looking for some chunks that require this to develop the skill.

If you could also show me the up/down picking pattern, too, that would be awesome.

thanks in advance

Do you know the Pepsi lick by VInnie Moore? That is a swiping lick. It’s basically an A minor scale going up the neck on the B and E strings.

Is that a swiping luck? Maybe I’m not totally clear on the terminology - I thought swiping meant hitting unwanted strings in the context of a picking pattern.

I agree, I don’t believe that’s a swiping lick. It’s
two way pickslanting from an upward pickslanting position.

1 Like

Here are some DWPS swiping chunks. If you take the fifth example and move it up the scale it’s the basically the Pepsi lick.

3 Likes

Can you explain what makes these swiping licks?

What parts require swiping?

One thing I found interesting that Troy mentioned in that Pepsi lick video was that since Moore is an upward pickslanter, the motion is a lot more subtle. The wrist doesn’t have to move as much as when downward pickslanting.

Does this translate into making such a move easier for an upward pickslanter? I wonder…

I’m a more naturally a dwps player, which is why I wonder.

With downward pickslanting the swiping occurs when you’re crossing from the B string to the E string on a downstroke. Don’t change your pickslant when crossing strings. On the last note of the B string let the pick glide over the E string on your downstroke with your pinkie (or ring finger) lightly muting the E string. That will help the swipe make less sound.

Here’s me doing the last example:

3 Likes

Interesting… And I’ve been spending the last year attempting to master twps to get this kind of lick down fast. I will give this dwps version a go.

Wait, I just tried this. You don’t need to swipe to go from the B to the E on a downstroke, you just economy pick your way to the E. Nothing to skip or swipe. What am I missing here?

If you economy pick to the E then you have to change your pickslant to get back the B string with an inside string change. Swiping, with either downwards or upwards pickslanting, is all about outside string changes.

You can use upwards pickslanting with all the chunks but in that case the swipe will occur going from the E to the B string.

3 Likes

I still don’t think Vinnie is swiping it though. And I don’t really see how it’s an alternative to an efficient double escaped motion.

I don’t think the point is that Vinnie is swiping, just that you can swipe that riff.

I guess it’s only an alternative to twps if you can actually do it well.

I get that, and I understand that it’s meant to be inaudible- just seems like it adds additional moving parts to a picking pattern since it’s effectively planning mistakes into your line and then assuming that you can prevent them being heard. Seems like a potentially unreliable strategy to me.

I doubt professional players who use swiping think of it as “planning mistakes” though. It’s a totally different mindset. They care about the outcome - not about every tiny detail of what constitutes their particular way of playing the guitar.

1 Like

I dont think there is such thing as a “swiping chunk” or even a “swiping lick” per se

its just something that MAY happen due to the way an individual does 2 way slanting. Its sort of an optimization or shortcut. instead of aggressively avoiding a string the player just goes right thru it

if im using dwps and Im going to do the Paul Gilbert lick, afaik the “swiping” will be as I go to the higher string

e-------------x–5--------
b-----5–6--8------8–6-

as I go DUD, that last D goes straight thru the b AND thru the high e string. Thats the “swipe” afaik

if I were to do the same lick with UWPS then id clear the high e anyway due to the uwps so then the swipe would be on the way back down to the b string like this:

e----------------5--------
b-----5–6--8—x–8--6-

DUDU and the last U would go thru the high e and catch the b at the same time

OR lets say if one is using DWPS and 2 way slanting, they may aggressively clear the higher string on the way up but may not quite clear the lower string on the way back down…or vice versa for uwps

I think the main idea is that a lot of people swipe without knowing it. They arent always doing it on purpose as most probably arent aware of it

of course in typing this im wondering why one needs to even do 2wps on that lick if they are going to swipe it lol. why not just do 1wps??

2 Likes

yeah but swiping doesnt have anything to do with economy picking lol. Thats changing the subject

Thats like saying “where is the nearest gas station” and after they tell you, you say “nevermind, im on a bicycle” lol

3 Likes

strong text

ha ha

I didn’t know he meant the turnaround on the chunk.

Great point here. Swiping is a matter of comfort and convenience for me. My picking hand defaults to a DWPS position and UWPS is a bit uncomfortable for any continuous picking. By using swiping the only time I have to change my picking hand position is when I play a downstroke on a higher string followed by an upstroke on a lower string.

I’ll catch myself doing TWPS sometimes when I thought I was swiping :slight_smile: