Capped for years at 100 bpm 16th notes

Thanks very much for your reply. I have just had time to have a quick look at your thread. Your technique looks brilliant. I have been looking to try and develop a nice wrist technique, and I seem to be able to tremolo pick in a relaxed way which seems to be wrist based. I will try and post a video. I was playing there and I suspect the slower technique I am using to try and get to 110 bpm from 100bpm isn’t quite the same motion. I might spend some time with the faster tremolo motion and see if I can get it controlled and relaxed at lower tempos…?

I wouldn’t worry about lower tempos yet, get comfortable at fast tempos on one string (one string keeps it nice and simple) and then slowly expand onto other strings over time. The sweet spot for me has been at and above 115bpm sextuplets, I learnt both motions at this speed, anything less then this I’d worry I was doing something inefficient :grin:

For example when I eventually get around to attempting a trailing edge grip to access Shawn Lane (and now Troy Grady) levels of speed there is not much point in me practicing it any slower then 150bpm sextuplets because I’ll almost definitely be doing something incorrectly. Hope that makes sense!

1 Like

That is very interesting. I suppose some of the things I’ve been practising to try and keep the left hand going were at those kind of tempos. I suppose I am chasing the kind of satisfaction you might expect or like being able to play a lick and build it up through the tempos. I’ll give you another example: I once purchased a Danny Gill alternate picking video via Lick Library, and the initial etude is at 90bpm…

I must admit that playing at a fast kind of tremolo speed using the motion I am working with, changing strings does not really feel comfortable. The other issue is initiating the fast tremolo motion. I take it it is worth practising that? Look at, for example Ben Eller playing the riff to We Rock by Dio, something I haven’t made a lot of progress with due to having a technique with a downstroke escape. When he moves from playing diads to the faster sixteenth notes on the A string, his movements look relaxed, and very practiced; is that what muscle memory looks like.

What speed are you going here? Can you maintain it for at least 30 seconds? Does it feel easy/tension free to do? A lot of people fall into the trap of doing the same thing they were doing before but just trying harder when instead you need to be trying out different hand positions and pick grips until you get something that feels speedy, easy and different to what you were doing before :grin:

I don’t want to hijack this thread so maybe consider opening up a TC on the website and get proper instruction from Troy and the team as well!

1 Like

Thank you Jack - how do I open up another TC? This feels very relaxed, as though I could do it all day. It is easier to do it or initiate it on the higher strings. Initiating the movement is harder on the lower strings. I practised just tremolo picking for quite a while yesterday, to the bemusement of my wife. That time spent reinforced to me that getting an efficient tremolo motion and then slowing it down for intermediate speed runs would work, rather than going from a motion that feels great at 100 bpm but tense and difficult at 110 bpm. I felt I could tell if it was the same efficient motion as I slowed - it was dead easy just to speed it up again. I’m never going to be able to get anything meaningful going with it with the left hand at 180 odd bpm.