Checking my pick slanting angle here

Wanted to ask somebody here about the angle of pickslanting you see in the picture above?
My name is Dean and I am very new here. Long story short— I had a back injury long ago in 1981 which really threw my picking technique out the window. Here I am two years after my major surgery (which was very successful, BTW) and I am now relearning my old pre-injury technique again! This is an amazing place and I have had more revelations here about picking technique(s) that I’m downright ecstatic, Troy!!! It’s coming back even better than it was before. Thanks again.

Welcome Dean, I’m glad the surgery went well and that you can come back to guitar safely!

The first comment is that it is difficult to assess what is going on from a picture, a video would be much better! Something like a few reps of a lick you are working on would be great. Filming advice attached below :slight_smile:

Also, we are moving away from “pickslanting” as the primary focus of our analysis - we now prefer to start the discussion from the ideas of “trapped” and “escaped” pickstrokes. You can have a quick look at these introductory pages that @Troy has recently put together to get a nice overview:

Thanks Tommo!

Thanks for the filming tips! I’ll see what I can rig up to give you a better idea. Over the last couple of nights I’ve been experimenting with various picking motions that I saw Troy explain in depth. Very fascinating stuff to say the least!
The most interesting thing was that several of the core picking concepts/motions were part of my “lost” technique(s) from years ago. I guess I was doing this on a very subconscious level as I only relied on what felt good? The huge difference now, is that I can dig down into the depths of each of the individual physical hand/wrist/forearm/elbow positions (explained). So, when you add in all the other aspects of picking, a whole new understanding becomes a slew of AHA moments! Keep it up…this is really mind-boggling after many years of finding my own way of doing things.