Chord Book Recommendations

I’m always on the lookout for some good chord books and am after recommendations.

I already have these - Ted Greene Chord Chemistry - I didn’t like it! Sure, there are loads of voicings, but I think the diagrams could be clearer and it needs a bit of an update IMO. A lot of voicings aren’t practical.

Jazz Guitar Chord Mastery, Jazz Guitar Chord Concepts and Voice Leading Jazz guitar by Fundamental Changes. These are three good books and have been very useful.

Hal Leonard Jazz Guitar Thesauraus - just ok. A lot of diagrams and boring patterns, not very advanced.

Randy Vincent Three Note Voicings & Beyond, and Drop 2 book. Randy’s three note voicings book is one of the best chord books I have read. It’s really useful. His drop 2 book is great too, but I struggle with some of the voicings and prefer the simplicity of three note voicings.

That’s all I have at the minute. I know a lot of these books are geared towards jazz, but I absolutely hate jazz books where they have a loads of ii-V-I exercises and blues exercises. I realise these progressions are used a lot in jazz and would be near impossible to avoid in guitar books about jazz chords. I just find the “traditional” sound of old jazz standards extremely boring.

Am I missing any chord books that I should be checking out? Basically, I’m after a book with lots of chords and their inversions, I like 3 and 4 note chords. I’m looking for more modern chord concepts and voicings, rather than the old jazz block-style voicings.

I’ve never read this, but I know John in person and I’m sure it’s super accurate, plus a lot of Holdsworth aficionados think highly of it. Could be useful for adding unusual chords to your knowledge.

https://www.amazon.com/Secrets-Chords-Holdsworth-John-Vullo-ebook/dp/B08CRH9QTF

1 Like

cool - I didn’t even know this book existed. I can see it for free with a 30 day KindleUnlimited trial, so I will take a look.

1 Like

Guitar Pro. Software based, extensive vocabulary of chords…

I have that and it’s good as chord lookup (sometimes) but I’m after a book for this purpose.

1 Like

The George Van Eps method for guitar has you harmonizing scales in triads with specific voicings. It’s pretty basic, but it’s also a good basis to build off of.

2 Likes

Also, the Berklee Book 1 by William Leavitt has a ton of chords and chord progressions in it! Definitely worth having in the bookshelf, lol plus all the positional studies hahaha

1 Like

Thanks guys - totally forgot about George Van Eps!!

I found this Tim Lerch book on Amazon, in case anyone is interested.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Melodic-Jazz-Guitar-Chord-Dictionary/dp/B09ZFLNVQC/