Cliffs of Dover hybrid nightmare

Hi,

Sorry if this has been mentioned before as it’s a really long thread and I haven’t read it but.

Have you tried playing the finger plucked note alternating between the ring and middle finger? So for the 6 notes would be: Ring, Middle, Ring, Middle, Ring Middle and repeat. So almost using the Ring and Middle fingers to do a bit of a tremolo.

I would also use down strokes for the pick as you’re kind of doing an outside picking string skipping lick where if you were using the pick on it’s own you would be doing an upstroke on the e string.

I have experimented to see if using the ring finger for the widest string pair, but struggled with the ring finger plucks. Just tried alternating and quite frankly, it melted my brain and couldn’t coordinate my hand at all…

Hey man, I noticed you are doing downstrokes and then a hybrid pluck? I find that a hybrid pluck just after an upstroke is a bit more conducive to speed. That’s just me though, but maybe that’s helpful?

For me I consider this IN phase. Out of phase for me is an upstroke followed by a pluck. But that’s just me brother. Every body has different ways to do it, I find it interesting it’s your preferred way of doing it. It’s like one of those personal things, like when playing a 4 note per string with just three fingers, you have to slide one one of those fingers, which one is it, first, last or middle even. I found I’m using the last (3rd note) to slide but I find the better tone is on the first, but I can’t change it now :frowning:

1 Like

Thats super interesting - i’d have to try it out!