Cliffs of Dover Intro Improvisation

Hello all,

Long time no see. Hope folks are doing alright.

I’ve got an unexpected surprise coming the next few days, but in the meanwhile I thought I’d have some fun with strymon dig’s incredible stereo field (which forces me to play without amps this time, but logic x amp simuls will do just fine) and just riff raff over the intro to CoD. Just one minute so it doesn’t get overbearing.

The circular repeats are done with the dig, and the lead is two tubescreamers in series.

The usual gypsy picking stuff with some other stuff thrown in there- but as they say, pickslanting is a gift that just keeps on giving.

Hope you enjoy.

17 Likes

My wife is not a musician, but she’s heard all the guitar greats during her 20 years with me. I was playing this on my phone while she was in the same room and she said “who’s that? Eric Johnson?”
Just wanted to pass that along :slight_smile:

7 Likes

All Peter has to do now is get the mullet and the Total Electric Guitar box suit and his transformation will be complete.

3 Likes

Ha! Bless her!

Also do listen to it in stereo when you get the chance Joe. Thanks as always for the kind words.

The mullet went away sadly enough!

I haven’t done much songwriting like I used to, but I think this EJ metamorphosis was a very necessary step in my musical journey, since I didn’t have any role models prior.

In a way, I got into EJ heavily when I hit a mental block with all the band stuff I was doing so in a way I’m indebted to his catalogue for making me enjoy playing again.

3 Likes

Wow, thanks for sharing!

I’m listening to you on repeat, enjoying the excellent tone and mechanics displayed here.

1 Like

Awesome playing and tone! Makes me want to want to play, which I appreciate since I’ve been in a lurch about it.

What gear are you using?

1 Like

The chain is: strat → two tubescreamers (for lead) → strymon dig stereo direct into logic x. Couldn’t use my real amps so the logic x presets had to do.

1 Like

Two tubes creamers?! (I’m leaving that auto correct lmao) I’d be interested to see those settings…

I always try to go for his tone when setting up a “dedicated lead tone”, if you look at the random videos I posted here, it’s one or two of them that sound like it (using a tube driver).

One has the gain on full and the other (the first in line) is set at 12 (for all knobs) :slight_smile:

I like using traditional gear in terms of guitars and dirt boxes and amps, but for delays/reverbs I like high tech and digital.

2 Likes

Man, that sounds (is) fantastic. Great playing!

2 Likes

How did you set the strymon dig up? It sounds like you’re getting an infinite repeat that I think Eric got with an old MXR rack delay but then you’re playing on too of the loop with a sound that has a nice sounding delay on it too. Did you use two Strymon Dig pedals? Or did you record the infinite repeat loop into a track in Logic and then play it back from Logic and play over it with a different delay setting? I can’t imagine how it could be done live without 2 delay pedals. Sounds great however you did it.

The Strymon Dig does the infinite chorus’d 420ms repeats.

I have the dual delays in free mode with one delay on single repeat and lowest time (for pseudo-chorus), and the second delay repeats are automatic (meaning I have the repeats on full and in trails mode, so once I hit the chord I can just bypass the Dig and the repeats will keep on running, but gradually decreasing in volume because I’m using only one delay line). This is to avoid the circular function on the dig so that I don’t have to keep my foot on the tap tempo switch.

And before that there is a Strymon El Capistan with the cleanest settings (low bias, no age, etc, and an aggressive low-cut high pass filter) and the overall mix is as aggressive as I would set the Dig.

This allows me to pull it off in real time. Hope this answers the question and thanks for the kind words :slight_smile:

1 Like

thanks for the kind words :slight_smile:

Thanks for the reply Peter. Greatly appreciated. I look forward to try those same settings with my strymon dig pedal. Keep up the great playing!

1 Like

Nice video Peter - great sound and some very smooth picking.

1 Like