Cliffs of Dover on an acoustic guitar!

I’ve seen a few acoustic versions kickin’ around on the ‘Tubes but they all seem to be an acoustic re-imagining of the song versus playing it note for note more or less the way Eric does - so I dusted off the ol’ downward pickslant and took a crack at it:

18 Likes

That was really great! Nicely done!

1 Like

That was great man, well done!

1 Like

That was excellent, nicely done!

1 Like

What a great performance! Your playing/sound was great and it’s a nice bonus that we can tell from your smiles how much you enjoyed it yourself :slight_smile: Well done!

3 Likes

Sorry, I’m too jealous to respond…

4 Likes

Thanks for all the love everyone! It was fun to make, might have to try a full playthrough or a different EJ song. Manhattan is one of my favourites and I’m wondering how it’d sound acoustic!

4 Likes

No one noticed the giant edit? It’s not terrible playing but half of this song is playing with overdrive so… good job?

Eh, who cares about the fact the two sections here were two takes, this is still a cool performance. Yeah, there’s clearly audible digital reverb, guitar was probably compressed a lot too which helps with the evenness, you could nit-pick all this stuff…

…but this is a really cool performance of a very hard electric piece performed on a goddamn acoustic guitar, it was performed in two takes but with no other editing I can see, and dude is pretty clearly enjoying himself playing this and doing a damned good job of it too. This is great, haha. Brought a smile to my face, anyway, and on a 9 degree day when I’m taking a few minutes to browse here while eating breakfast during he end of a long week at work, that’s enough for me.

EDIT - holy hell do I sound like a crotchety old man here. :rofl:

6 Likes

The opposite! Crotchety old man would dump on something instead of boost it up for being what it was: someone clearly enjoying what they’re doing and putting in the work and time to comp together a 2 take rendition of a dope song on, like you say, a goddamn acoustic guitar!

:smiley:

4 Likes

Maybe we noticed but we didn’t care because it’s pretty obvious and so not really trying to fool anyone. Plus, it’s cool playing.

It sounds like you’re ragging on the guy and there’s no reason for that. Let’s try and be a little more supportive here.

7 Likes

Obviously great playing overall, but the thing that jumped out at me is the “attitude” you hit those slides with (the ones that replace the big bends). Great feel!

1 Like

Not crotchety in the slightest - if you put yourself out there on the internet someone is eventually gonna come roast you :joy:

I recorded it direct to my phone through a Yamaha THR10 with some hall reverb; there’s probably some compression in the acoustic preamp for sure. I recorded the studio intro part and then added the Austin City limits intro ditty in later cuz I thought it would make it sound cooler, lol. I don’t love the direct input tone but it’s really convenient for recording stuff when you have 5 loud roommates :rofl:

4 Likes

Nice playing and video! Eric is my favorite player. Out of curiosity, what adaptor or interface did you use to record direct to your phone from the THR10? I have a THR10x I’d like to try direct recording with.

The fact that it’s so good makes the edit most mysterious. What happened? Did a cat run through the shot? Mayhaps a dog or ferret?

I have a USB to USB type C adapter cable that just plugs right into the charging port on my Android phone. It takes some getting used to with dialing the tone in though since what gets recorded isn’t necessarily what you’re hearing from the amp; I have yet to be totally happy with how it sounds :upside_down_face:

What model acoustic is that? I’ve been looking for an acoustic that sounds like an acoustic but plays like an electric and haven’t found one I like yet. Everyone says to get a Taylor but I got an 814 and it played as stiff as a Martin. I’m not looking to do crazy bends or anything but you’re clearly not having trouble shredding on that thing. Pretty awesome playing and I think the tone is actually pretty damn good too.

Hey, don’t get me wrong, I thought it was awesome, and I don’t care HOW it was recorded, because the performance is clearly genuine and the fun you’re having with this comes across clearly. Thanks for sharing this!

Austin City Limits intro definitely adds a lot hre, IMO. :+1:

1 Like

Thanks man! It’s a Tanglewood TW55 I think - it’s hard to read the sticker on the inside :eyes: it’s the only acoustic I’ve ever owned so I haven’t spent much time with other guitars to be able to give a decent comparison, although I feel like the neck profile seems similar to a Taylor? I don’t think they make this particular model anymore but I’ve seen similar looking ones on Reverb for pretty cheap.

I can play fast on any guitar that has a decent set up though, I think that matters a lot more than the model of the guitar itself. Here’s a potato quality video of some tasteless shredding on a dreadnought for an example:

That being said, the Martin SC-13E sounds like it might be up your alley - the selling point they tried to make at NAMM last year was that it’s supposed to have the playability of an electric. Haven’t been able to try one yet though!

2 Likes

This is so funny!!! I feel the same way ahahaahhah but man great job bro!

1 Like