Close but no cigar

So a little while ago I was toying with some EJ licks trying my best to achieve the magic of DWPS. As I was slowly going through the 2 nps licks I made it a point to close my eyes and just listen. I can vividly remember a different wrist movement that felt like I was moving my pick adjacent with the strings. This feeling was like putting a hot knife through butter. Everything made complete sense. This “feeling” lasted until I set the guitar down. I cannot for the life of me recreate this motion. I have 2 questions at this point…Has this happened to anyone else??, and how can I recreate this movement? I’m tired of sitting down and awkwardly forcing my wrist into unnatural movements trying to figure out this problem we call Downward Pick-Slanting.

1 Like

Correction: I meant to say parallel to the strings instead of adjacent. It’s been a few years since I’ve had a lesson in math hahha

You were lucky that it lasted that long, on another post I remember saying the same thing (but with 2WPS) except mine lasted about a minute!

It does happen and I’m sure it will happen again. In your openening post, you stated that you were “toying”. I see two possible options here:
1- Keep “toying” - throw the metronome aside and just try go with the flow and get out of your own way. Experiment with hand position to get that motion mechanic so that its easy and focus on cleanliness later
2 - Suck it up and keep grinding away and hope that you get the same experience again and again until you crack it.

My instinct (and other posts on the forum) says go with number 1.

Can you tremolo pick to a high speed with your current motion mechanic?

2 Likes

Man I had a struggle to start doing DWPS and UWPS too. Then after these I still have a few issues sometimes with 2WPS and Crosspicking… And I have two major advice:

Relax and Focus on what you are trying to do in a natural speed (like the one you play alone, without metronome, backing track etc.

Mentalize you doing the movement. You know these amazing slow motion clips that Troy made for us? Mentalize you doing those movements in details. Imagine how it feels, every tiny thing in the movement and “see” yourself doing these.

I know that the second one sounds like “mambo jambo” and new wave crappy stuff. But it worked for me, after some time those movements started to get shape in my playing. And every single day I imagine those movements, and keep trying my best to push the boundaries with DWPS and UWPS and to really crack the 2WPS and Crosspicking.

And don’t be so harsh with yourself, just relax and you will get there man! If you made it once I’m damn sure you can do it twice!

2 Likes