Combination of forearm/finger picking motion

I’ve been learning about the different motions through the Pickslanting Primer, and I’m surprised there wasn’t a section on the combination of forearm/finger motion. Esp since @Troy seems to be highly inspired by YM, and he seems to be using this method.

What I’m talking about here is mostly forearm motion with a little bit of help from the fingers to push the pick across the strings. (USX, supinated, flexed wrist, no palm contact, but middle knuckle contact for tracking, extended trigger grip near the nail). This seems to be the motion I use, as it seems to offer way more control than elbow/wrist, or just forearm.

Also, there is a video called “Four mechanics” or something like that, where @Troy does mention that he does use fingers sometimes. Is there a reason that this is not mentioned at all in the mechanics section of the primer?

Thanks

In the Primer we tried to focus on the most common motions. The ones we profiled are the ones we see all the time here on the forum when players post clips of their techniques.

Finger joints are commonly used for for making small adjustments, where you will see those joints moving on specific notes or phrases and not others. And they’re common for small adjustments in pick attack, like changing the edge picking on a particular note. But from clips that players post here, we don’t usually see it as the primary source of the motion, i.e. where you see the finger joints moving on every note. When we ask players to just play a single note fast, and they’re actually able to do it, finger motion is rarely the joint motion we see. Since all our teaching is based on tests like that, i.e. asking people to go fast and observing what they do, that’s why you don’t see more about finger joint motion.

Along those lines, the reason we profiled those motions in the Primer is not because we want you to try to methodically learn them. It’s because we want you to be able to recognize the joint motion you see when you try to pick fast without thinking too much about it. That’s the approach that seems to produce the quickest results.

As far as Yngwie, he uses all sorts of motions depending on the phrase he’s playing. This even includes joints like elbow motion which we don’t normally think of Yngwie as using. So I wouldn’t say that even he is primarily a user of finger joint motion, or that his fingers are always moving when he’s alternate picking. Not only that, but his motions have changed over the years, so whatever he was doing in 1984 may not be what he’s doing now.

Personally, I don’t really know how to do finger motions. In that old video I mentioned that it was a thing I would like to work on but, in the six or seven years since that time I haven’t had the time or inclination.

It’s very difficult to take whatever your core motion is and learn a completely different one. If the Primer makes it appear like learning various motions is something players should be working on, then that’s a mistake and we’ll try to correct that in future updates. More likely most people will learn to leverage the motion or motions they already can do, and simply expand the phrases they can play with it. Over time this may include (subconsciously) mixing in different joints to play certain phrases, that’s totally fine.

1 Like

@daron81 Have you checked out the Martin Miller interviews or searched Miller picking? His crosspicking mechanic is a useful finger mechanic that’s what I think of. Using the index finger for escape motion/changing pickslant seems pretty common for sweep picking as well

@cmcgee11235 Thanks for the suggestion. Yes, I have seen those interviews, and I really liked the musical advice in there.

As far as the picking goes, the finger motion I use is much less than Martin’s, which makes sense bc I don’t do crosspicking.

Actually, having watched more of the primer, Troy does mention that there is a little thumb-side push when doing the forearm motion. Must have missed it the first time, but that is what I was referring to.

I’m starting to realize that wrist motion, and also the Forearm/wrist described in the primer, is actually a combination of many joint motions (wrist, elbow and forearm). For instance, what Troy refers to as wrist motion seems to me to be a combination of elbow/wrist in reality (even though the elbow plays a tiny part).