Commentary on fast players and an appreciation of this site

WARNING - RANT!

I have spent the last month learning the Tornado of Souls solo. It’s been a great ride. I’ve played it daily for about 45-60 minutes. I’ve loved digging into Marty’s playing but watching any instructional videos of him and many other fast players has left a bad taste in my mouth.

At first I found his snarky attitude about shredding, sweep picking, etc. entertaining and while I do agree that sweeping and playing fast just for the hell of it can devolve into wankery, I’ve begun to think, “It’s easy for these fast guys to act smug about this when they, for whatever reason, have cracked the code.” They seem so terribly bored with fast playing when in fact that is really all they do.

It’s like cook acting as if garlic is passe.

To Marty’s credit, he has some fantastic tunes that very playable with little to no super fast stuff. but the idea that he doesn’t sweep and doesn’t know what hybrid picking even is seems absurd to me. Videos he and others have made where they play at lightning speed as if the rest of us should just “get it” are nearly worthless - especially in comparison to the research and great content on this site.

Thank you @Troy and co. for what you’ve done and for presenting it in a way that isn’t condescending. THAT is useful and though I will probably never be as fast as Marty, it has revolutionized my approach to the guitar, my confidence and my sound. the me of 6 months ago would be in utter shock that I can even get close to Tornado of Souls.

END RANT

3 Likes

Cool to hear that you’re practicing that solo!

I think it’s more like a cook saying that using too much garlic will ruin the taste. :slight_smile:

I think Marty (and probably most guitarists that have “cracked the code”) just is oblivious of the learning guitarists’ capabilities. He does not have a reference when it comes to learning those fast licks. I can’t imagine Marty being acting snarky or condescending regarding being able to shred to be honest. I just think that even top performance on guitar can get kind of mundane when you are able to do it at a moment’s will, maybe that explains the somewhat indifferent attitude. I could be wrong though.

Yes, @Troy is amazing.

1 Like

great point. and I can see why driving it home in an instructional video is important. He’s on the other side. He’s seen how “fast” doesn’t necessarily equal “good”.

and I agree. most fast guitar music bores the hell out of me. Marty’s great for exactly the reasons he seems so over “shredders” and does lots of cool non-speed guitar stuff in his music.

I think my bigger point was simply that when I go back to watch videos by any of the fast players, nothing is as helpful as this site and maybe Ben Eller’s stuff. The old instructional videos now seem like so much showing off that’s mostly just discouraging to anyone who doesn’t manage to just get it naturally.

These videos were created (marketed) to moreso showcase the players ability, rather than teaching you the “nuts and bolts” of how they do what they do. They expect you to figure that out, the way they did, either with and instructor, copying others, trial and error. I personally believe alot of players are coy, and don’t want to give out the tricks of the trade.
And then you have a guy like Joe Stump, who will show you anything he does.

I have alot of these videos from Star licks, REH, Rockhouse, etc. and some are better than others, but they all offer an unique way to learn from the best players around. If you go into it, with the idea of leaning a few of a great players licks, and or phrasing, youll get more out of it.