Confused regarding two way pick slanting - where to begin?

I would like to get some kind of a two way pick slanting technique happening, but I’m confused as to where to begin.

Do I watch the crosspicking videos or do I rewatch the two way pick slanting videos?

I can do upward escape pickstrokes on their own and downward escape pickstrokes on their own - but I can’t link them with it feeling smooth.

I am first playing the Pop Tarts lick, which is a downward pickslanting lick, and then I’m playing an upward pickslanting Andy James lick. For me downward pickslanting feels more comfortable, but I would love to be able to do both.

2 Likes

well what are you doing currently? do you downward slant by nature or upward slant?

a good way to start is to find a lick where you use your current method and you add in one note that needs the opposite slant

this is a lick I have done for many years…way before I ever heard of “slanting”. its pretty easy to get it going with a nice rhythm

triplets

b-----12–13–12----------------- repeat etc
g---------------------14–12–14

thats a good one to get u going with some easy 2 way slanting if u are used to downward slanting. It can basically be done with dwps except for going from the b down to the g string

It seems that the “link” could be (a) a singe cross-picking stroke, or (b) a stroke that goes trapped → trapped (vs. the usual trapped → escaped or escaped → trapped); did I miss any options? I do (b), so my strokes go escaped → trapped → trapped → escaped for those transitions, and there seems to be a reasonable amount of time to rotate one’s forearm… I’m not smart enough to be able to suddenly do (a).

That’s not really what’s going on here. When you play the phrase slowly, I think you can see that your picking motion is all double-escape pickstrokes. Let’s set aside for the moment whether this is an efficient movement (“crosspicking”) or an inefficient one (“stringhopping”), because that’s a whole a tangent unto itself. Just make the observation first and foremost that this is a clearly double-escape motion, and you should be aware of that.

Then, when you play the pop tarts lick, you’re doing what looks like a modified version of that motion. Most of the pickstrokes are actually downstroke escape motions, except for the last one on each string which is a double escape, and that’s how you’re making the string changes happen. The ascending phrase, that appears to be all downstroke escape motions.

This is why we need to start seeing pickslanting and picking motions separately. Pickslanting in terms of the way that pick is being held in space is important - it needs to be oriented a certain way based on the picking motion you’re using. Double escape motions require no pickslant. Downstroke escape motions require an upward pickslant. Upstroke escape motions require a downward pickslant.

Because you are making downstroke escape motions and double escape motions, this is why you never use an obvious downward pickslant. Because it would not work. But a slight upward pickslant would be what you need for downstroke escapes, and if it’s slight enough, it won’t disrupt your double escape motion. And variations, if you were to do them, would be so tiny that you wouldn’t notice anyway.

The motions are another story - they’re pretty clear. If you want to re-film this clip with a lighter colored pick (white?), more light, and 120fps mode on your phone, it should be dead clear. Try to get as “down the strings” as you can. Here are some more tips:

All that being said, there is nothing specifically wrong with the combination of motions you’re making here. It’s not like an upstroke escape motion with a downward pickslant and rest stroke is necessarily any “better”. Whatever plays the notes clearly and smoothly is fine.

If anything, it’s the smooth aspect that is missing here. I feel like you haven’t found that high gear where the hand just goes, even if it’s sloppy. So the practical question of where do you go from here? I would say, it is finding that gear.

The best way is to go fast, and make repeated short trials with some video to see if you’re actually doing the motions you want to be doing. Sloppy is ok. Large is ok. Small and labored is not ok. Do it for thirty seconds all out and film it. Take a look and see what you got for a minute. Then try again.

Get the hands moving fast and smooth first, accuracy be damned!

4 Likes

Sorry @Troy, I’m now really confused. Did you mean the Pop Tarts is upstroke escaped motions?

So you’re saying if I angle slant my pick slight more upwards I will be able to make double escape motions?

Hey @aliendough, if I understood correctly, when you are speeding up the pop tarts it seems that your upstrokes become trapped, so it looks that you are using what we used to call upward pickslanting. Except of course for the very last upstroke on each string, where you seem to do a different movement that gets you over the string. But if you wanted to do pure DWPS for that lick, you’d have all the upstrokes escaping and all the downstrokes buried below the strings plane.

1 Like

@Tommo, thanks for the explanation. I would have sworn that I was using a technique where all the upstrokes escape - but I’m no expert.

So, am I correct in thinking that if I use a more neutral angle all my pickstrokes will escape without having to make much of a change in pick orientation?

Do I have an UWPS grip?

The change of terminology is super, super confusing.

Apologies for the confusion! Yes, @tommo is correct, that’s what I was trying to say.

The “angle” of the pick doesn’t cause the motion, so changing it won’t do anything. You could remove the pick from your hand and your motions would still be whatever they currently are. To change the movement, you have to… make a different movement! In other words, move your wrist along a different pathway.

The subtlety here is that, yes, there is a relationship between the picking motion and the pickslant. The pickslant is used to make sure that the attack of upstrokes and downstrokes are equally smooth, and you adjust it based on the type of picking motion you are using. Specifically, upstroke escape motions need a downward pickslant, downstroke escape motions need an upward pickslant, and double escape motions don’t need any pickslant. Not only that, but if you use flatter picking motions which are closer to parallel with the strings, the pickslant becomes equally flatter, and harder to spot from your player perspective. As an example, your motions are pretty flat and that’s why we’re not seeing Gypsy jazz levels of pickslant at any point in your clip.

This relationship is what we failed to explain clearly in the first versions of our instructional stuff, mainly because we didn’t fully understand the interaction! We’re updating the Pickslanting Primer now with better, bite-size explanations which we hope will make this super clear for everyone. So apologies from us!

The point here is that if you try to understand your picking motions by “looking for the slant” it may be hard to see, and in the case of a double-escape motion, there might not even be any. Here’s a quick comparison we filmed recently to illustrate how these things are independent:

As you watch this, take a look at the “pickslant” and see if you can spot which one it is at any given moment. You probably can’t. I can’t. I can’t even really see it as I’m playing. But I can feel tiny adjustments in the arm position, wrist position, and grip which make the attack smoother. By comparison, take a look at the way the pick is moving. That’s a lot clearer. You can see the pick moving down and to the left, down and to the right, straight side to side, or in a curve. Those are your four pickstroke types, and in the case of this example specifically, they are done with four different wrist motions (more or less).

Honestly, the “looking for the slant” approach was always vague and not super helpful in knowing what kind of motion you’re actually making. Mainly because people have your experience here, e.g. “I’m slanting the pick, what am I doing wrong?”. Again, our fault.

The good news is that looking at the motion itself is way clearer. Just go into the YouTube player in your clip above and hit gear icon, and choose 25% speed. Take a look at the pickstrokes and see what they look like to you. Does the pick escape on the upstroke, downstroke, or both? That’s really all you have to ask. I may be off a little in what I’m seeing, but the key takeaway here is that this is how you can evaluate if you’re making the motion you are trying to make.

Traditionally the “Pop Tarts Lick” ™ is an upstroke escape type lick. Every string change happens after an upstroke so the simplest course of action is to just make a motion that does that all the time so the upstrokes always escape. In your case, it doesn’t look like that is happening. As @tommo points out it looks like you’re doing downstroke-escape motions mixed with double-escape motions. Take a look yourself and see what you think. You can also look at this while you’re playing and see what you think.

In general, the motions we’re seeing here are not a bad thing per se. Martin Miller is "Code-famous"™ for making the double-escape motion, or some variation on it, almost all the time, and it works very well for him. What really matters is that your motions feel smooth and fluid, the pick attack feels smooth and sounds good, and you are making the string changes cleanly. Again, going fast and sloppy until you feel smoothness kick in, and filming it to see what is really going on, is the way that I personally work on this.

But again, take a look at your motions and let us know if we’re explaining this clearly. And sorry again for the confusion!

3 Likes

Thanks @Troy and @Tommo!

Best wishes.

I will upload a video with better lighting over the weekend when I will be at home and can get some natural light on the camera.

Well, just for @Troy, I made a video for him via a ghetto headstock cam, which was an iPhone 6s stuck to the tiny metal part on the headstock of my Hydra 6 Elite.

Something weird - I made the second video on slow motion settings on my phone, just like @Brendan recommended here. Oddly enough the footage plays in slo motion mode on my phone, but plays at normal speed on Youtube.!!!

The footage isn’t great because my fretting hand fingers are blocking out my picking hand fingers :frowning: This isn’t something I thought that would happen. I will refilm again tomorrow playing a lick a bit lower down the fretboard.

Well, here is me just going for it and being sloppy.

Thanks for giving this another go! Yes, this will happen with a headstock cam. I thought we put a note about fretting finger blockage in the “filming your playing” article, but we’ll make that more prominent, maybe with some visual examples.

Even without seeing your picking hand, my impression is that this doesn’t seem faster or smoother than your other clip. There is a higher gear where you will go faster and smoother than this, because your hands are moving more freely. Trust me, you have this gear. It’s just a matter of finding it.

This is the fun part. Here is my suggestion, and I swear, I’m totally serious about this.

Imagine you are fourteen and you just got this new guitar and you are super excited to rock out. So you put on a song you like that has a fast solo in it that you are familiar with, the kind of thing you really want to play which is why you got this guitar in the first place. You have no concept of technique or where the notes are. All you know is that high notes are high, and low notes are low. And you know it’s fast so you’re just going to move your hands real fast while holding a pick. Maybe you hit strings. Maybe you don’t. You don’t really care, you’re just rocking out and pretending to be a guitar hero.

Now start the song, for real, and do it. Really get into it. During the fast parts, go as fast as you can, while still doing your best rock star karaoke routine. Do the EVH Pete Townshend split jump. Whatever gets the energy level going. Do not think about your technique, but really gun it during the fast parts. Get down on the floor if you need to get the whole body into it. Channel some of this!

Is your picking hand moving faster than it is in these clips? If not, keep doing this and trying it different ways until it is!

I swear, I’m serious here. This is how I learned to go fast and smooth. There was no metronome, no slow and accurate, just records and doing this.

4 Likes

Hey thanks for posting! Re: the slow-mo video, I’m testing now on iPhone and it seems the latest iOS has removed the shortcut for sharing directly to YouTube from the camera roll, which I believe is how we used to do it! Seems this is the easiest way to do it now: set slow-mo in/out points on iPhone (edit video from Camera Roll / Photos app), then open the YouTube app, and upload from there. Just did a quick test and that seemed to work, if you do another one try w/ that workflow. We’ll update our “Filming Your Playing” page to make this more clear.

1 Like

Thanks @Troy and @Brendan, I’ll give it another go in a while and see how things work out!