Connect 4's question

First, please forgive me for asking this question.
My internet is sooo slOw I literally
Have to watch seminar type vids
3 seconds at a time so its never gonna happen that I sit and digest all the materials prior to starting.

Even If the quality is on 360

So my desire is to move 4s around.

Is my path as follows?
Work volcano 4s ascending
Then descending
Then watch the connect 4s vid

Or is there a tab of connect 4s floating around?

Or?

Thanks

1 Like

Sorry about this. Do you have this issue with other videos, or just our stuff? Do you know what your connection speed is? Like, if you head over to Google and type “speed test”, with no other apps running on your computer other than your browser, what do you get? Any feedback is helpful, we’re always looking to troubleshoot and upgrade anything we can.

Yngwie doesn’t do fours ascending across the strings, so we didn’t film one for the Volcano seminar. That being said I’m sure you could do it and get good at it. I think this may have been discussed here before (forum search if you have a moment), but it’s a fine exercise to work out how you think it would be done and come up with the fretting / picking for it. My hint to you is that if you do this with an upstroke escape picking motion, aka downward pickslanting, you’re going to end up with one sweep and one hammer, and one moment where you have two upstrokes back to back, separated by the hammer.

Ready, set… go!

@Troy
Awesome, I love the idea of working it out based on your tips.

As far as video, its my problem not yours.
I live in the woods and even my phone stinks.

The only thing you could do on your end would be to offer a very low quality vid like 160 or whatever.

But I just accept t this as part of living in the woods.

Thanks again for the info.

Actually I lied! There are a few snippets of ascending in here - one at 31 seconds, and another at about 3:17:

We really don’t have a good shot of the picking side of things, but my guess is that it’s probably the sweep + hammer approach.

1 Like

Ok,
So I came up with something.

Making a moveable chunk of 4s
Using 3nps pent shapes is more challenging than I expected.

I tried many variations and so far failed but,

I did end up with what I think is a pretty doable run across all strings ascending through shapes

The picking flows nicely

Edit,
It appears to me that an alternate picking approach starting with a down would also work well on this pattern. I was looking at EJs 4s
And that made come back and try and as far as I can tell there are no real roadblocks.
If that turns out to be the case I might
Have a good practice pattern here.

@Troy
At your leisure of course.

1 Like

just instinctively that looks really hard to me lol. The 5-7-10-12 part on one string would get me probably. Then again its just 3 chunks so if it works, it works

1 Like

Its not too bad once you get use to the 3nps pentatonic shapes in general. They beat me up for a good while.

Im still struggling with the stretch if
I try it in g or lower but Im closing in on it.

The volcano 4s was a great help.

I still cant fly through them either. Lol

1 Like

Here is a way im moving up two strings with 3nps pent shapes in 4,s

Its tricky for me but as a practice tool
I think its pretty cool

Just an FYI, a great way to post tablature online is Soundslice:

It’s free for a personal account. You can upload Guitar Pro files, or you can use their own tablature editor. It’s a nice way to keep a little library of all your stuff. And on the forum it’s much easier to read, and of course, play.

1 Like