Cool video of Russ Parrish AKA "Satchel" from Steel Panther

Guy had/has insane chops. Figured some of you would enjoy the shredding.

3 Likes

He was living and practicing for a while with Paul Gilbert. But I think that’s obvious by the playing in the clip. :smile:

2 Likes

Yea, this is a great old clip, his playing is nuts here. Years before the Internet, a bunch of us local guitar players used to trade tapes back and forth with players from Spotlight.

I have old Russ Parrish stuff, original Paul Gilbert demos from when he was 17 in his first bands in Pennsylvania, and a whole bunch of other stuff. I still have stacks of cassettes of all that stuff in a box somewhere my house.

Do you have the “Looking Glass” EP or demo of Dallas Perkins? He’s also from Pennsylvania and was roommates with Paul Gilbert at GIT. He then moved to Tampa and was in Roxx Gang for a while. Dallas is one f the best sweep pickers and 6 to 8 finger tappers I’ve ever heard.

RE: Russ Parrish, why did he change his name to Satchel? When he was in Fight with Rob Halford on vocals, he went by Russ Parrish - not Satchel.

I don’t. I think Dallas Perkins is a little past my time, where I didn’t really come back to searching for rare guitar stuff until the Internet started to proliferate in the mid 90’s.

I also gave away all my old guitar player magazines to my local library. I wish I would have at least kept the issues with all the Shrapnel guys in them because I had everyone - including Yngwie, Gilbert, Greg Howe, Vinnie Moore, pretty much everybody.

Because Steel Panther is a satire band, it mocks hair metal while providing killer playing. I don’t know if mocks is the right word, more of a humorous homage I guess. And Satchel is a variation on Slash.

1 Like

hear alittle vinnie moore in there too!

2 Likes

I hear a bit of Jenna Jameson in the previous riff.