Cracking the Code - Joe Stump

I thought that I would ask this in the off topic section, since it doesn’t really involve Masters In Mechanics…

I remember years back Troy had a clip on his old site of some Joe Stump Shredcam footage - are there any plans to release that to the public?

I’m guessing Joe uses the same mechanics as Yngwie…?

2 Likes

I moved this to “Masters in Mechanics” because it is indeed on-topic for that category. Yes we have that interview which we have not edited yet but would like to at some point now that the platform is up. We’re streamlining the process of getting new stuff posted and live, and that will make it easier to make… more stuff!

6 Likes

Great!! Joe is one of my favourite players, I’m really looking forward to seeing it!

I wanted to ask the same exact question! Joe is one of my favorite players too!

1 Like

Joe Stump Shreds. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Would be great to see the Stump interview at some point. I’d also be interested to see both of the Rusty Cooley interviews you recorded!

3 Likes

Hell yeah! I have Rusty’s code archives and would love to see the interviews!

Rusty’s “Code Archives” really are the entirety of those interviews. When there was any discussion of the examples being played, we included that in those clips. The “Hyperdrive Mechanic” one is a good example, where we included in the clip itself the discussion the elbow-driven picking technique that he and John Taylor use. Nowadays, we tend to separate interviews and clips, but those interviews weren’t really interviews per se so much as filming sessions for a lick pack, which was our idea at the time.

We’d like to get all this stuff up on the platform in some fashion, but it may be that we simply Soundslice them as-is, including the descriptive preface when present, and not included when not present.

3 Likes

Hey Troy! How about digging more into Rusty’s technique in masters in mechanics? Would be great to see you analyze his playing!

2 Likes

What do you guys make of Joe’s picking here? Looks mostly DWPS to me?

Joe is almost exclusively dwps, with ascending sweeping, so he’s a textbook example of all the stuff we’ve talked about over the years in the EJ and Yngwie picking styles.

3 Likes

Awesome! I love watching him blaze up and down the fretboard, he seems to have endless alternate picked lines in his vocabulary. Incredible player.

I have the impression that in addition to the standard DWPS he also uses occasional “Reverse-Batio blips” (see video above starting at 0:59), where he goes UWPS for a fraction of a second.

Based on some of his youtube lessons he also seems a very good teacher (he definitely explains more than Yngwie :wink: ), so I reckon he’d make a very interesting MiM chapter!

2 Likes

Yes. Bring Joe in @Troy
Because I reckon too

1 Like