Critique my nascent DBX motion!

A Gm arpeggio figure at about 140bm, then at 25 percent speed.

Is it working? Am I on the right track? It feels/looks to me like a deviation based (DSX) motion, with movement in the pointer finger and thumb to clear the upstrokes.

Like so many of us, I have trouble playing sloppy and relaxed, but this seems to get close. Im interested in being able to play 1nps arpeggios and diatonic 4ths. I’m primarily a jazz player, so developing a large variety of DBX string switching motions is of great interest and importance to the way I want to play. Is this blend of motions viable?

Thanks for any feedback,

MoonTrane

2 Likes

OK, looks good, got it!

Hey! Sorry for the delay! Looks nice and smooth, but as you probably know there are occasional extra strings that are caught on the way down. As far as you are playing single-note lines without sustained chords, this can be easily compensated by tight left hand muting of the unwanted strings.

But more generally this a very good starting point for DBX! You now have a solid reference for what it feels like to go acroos the strings fast and smoothly. Next step is to try and avoid these extra strings while mantaining this feeling of smooth motion.

Easier said than done I know, but you seem already on your way!

1 Like

Thanks! I’ll report back when I feel like I have more to show, just wanted to see if I was headed in the right direction.