Critique my playing!

Hey guys, long-time CTC/MIM fan here.

I was reluctant to post this on here, but I thought I’d share a practise video from yesterday for your thoughts.

CAVEAT SPECTATOR: It’s very long and very wanky, and the best stuff is dotted throughout. I certainly won’t be offended if you watch 10 seconds and tune out, haha.

I know it’s not the best angle or quality - it’s a re-upload of a FB live video I did on the spur of the moment.

Be gentle!

Nick :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Nothing to apologize for here - your technique is very fluid (a lot more legato than Id have expected here), and I’m digging some of the bluesier touches. Hard to say for 100% sure given the roominess, but it sounds like you’re just jamming out over a drum loop, no bass accompaniment? There’s a fairly strong sense of harmony and musical direction in your playing for simply shredding over a beat if so. Well done, when I do that it just sounds like senseless scale runs. :slight_smile:

Hi Drew!

Thanks dude! Yeah, just a straight drum loop at 125. I spent 19 years pretty much full-time legato/tapping until I discovered Troy’s work! I’m sure that’s a familiar story here though :smiley:

Wow! Really Shawn Lanesque legato plating with super fluid and “free” sounding licks. Not totally sure what you want critiqued. Can’t really distinguish if there is anything in your picking that needs work. If anything I would like to hear more aggression in the picked parts but I guess that’s not what you’re going for. Super great playing and I would die to have the same fluidity in the left hand.

2 Likes

Thanks dude! Very kind words :). I suppose on reflection there’s probably not a whole lot of picking to be critiqued in that video. Actually, there IS a lot, but it’s kinda lost amongst the sea of legato! Haha.

Here’s another little snip - much shorter this time, and all picked. 2WPS “economy” picking study with some challenging string changes (including some 1NPS stuff).

[EDIT: better quality upload]

Working on playing the same piece using straight “down-up-down-up” crosspicking, but those arpeggios at the end have me foxed! Haha.

3 Likes

Great playing. Totally rocks :+1::+1::+1:

Great playing, awesome technical skills and great melodic sense!

amazing playing, very smooth and fluid. Do you have any down the neck CtC style footage? I’d love to see what your picking hand is doing.

Thanks dude! I’ll try and get some - I’ve only got me iPhone to do it with right now, but I’ll see if the Mrs is up for filming me (ooh er!)

I can’t add anything that hasn’t already been said about the all the awesomeness contained herein, so I will simply repeat: awwwwwsome playing!

Thanks for posting Nick!

Thanks @Troy! :).

As perviously mentioned, I was a full time legato/hybrid picking player before I found your work. I couldn’t even count on my picking to find the right string at slow-medium speeds.

CTC/MIM was literally life-changing for me. I owe so much to your research and teaching, and I love listening to you play.

Super glad to be on board!

2 Likes