Crosspicking with the Wrist and Forearm - live workshop

We’re doing another live workshop tomorrow!

This builds on last month’s crosspicking workshop, which focused on wrist movements and established our “clock face” metaphor for talking about these motions. (You can watch that one here first, if you haven’t already.)

In tomorrow’s broadcast — with the ever-so-catchy title of “Crosspicking with the Wrist and Forearm” — we’ll talk about movements like those you see here:

The forearm is one of the big three joints used in picking technique next to elbow and wrist, but outside of Eddie Van Halen’s famous tremolo technique, it rarely acts alone. Most often, it’s used in combination with the wrist to create a variety of super common and super useful motions.

In this broadcast, we’re going to look at the ways the wrist and forearm work together to make the kind of “fully escaped” pickstrokes used in crosspicking. Along the way, we’ll look at players who utilize motions like this, including Andy Wood, Ardeshir Farah, and Jimmy Herring.

Most importantly, combinations of arm and wrist exist in many picking motions, including those used in pickslanting. So the concepts we’ll be discussing will make it easier for you to both recognize motions you may already be making, and to harness their power to play an even wider array of things.

We’ll be live Wednesday, June 27th (tomorrow!) at 3pm EDT / 7pm UTC

This is just for Masters in Mechanics members; if you’re not yet a subscriber you can join here: https://troygrady.com/join/

When it’s time to go live, head to the Live Studio page to watch, and submit your crosspicking questions. Hope to see you there!

And if you can’t tune in live, no worries; we’ll aim to get the recorded version up on the site as soon as we can.

5 Likes

Ah but you guys really don’t want me to do any work these days!

(Ok it will be 8pm here, so I am kind of over dramatising for effect!)

2 Likes

Won’t be able to drop in for this one, but looking forward to the replay.

2 Likes

Any chance this might become another Seminar?

I really like the Seminar format because they’re like modernized versions of my old guitar lesson videos from Paul Gilbert or Frank Gambale – there’s tabs that I can slow down in Guitar Pro and it’s pretty great to learn from.

Also – yay for crosspicking! Probably one of the right hand techniques I’m having most trouble with. This is going to be cool I can tell.

1 Like

Yeah we definitely want to take this material and get it into some kind of structured chapterized form. One thing we’re working on is a new introductory tutorial sequence covering various fundamental picking motions, as well as things like pick grip, holding the guitar, hand sync etc. — and we expect the material from these workshops will end up there in some form.

And yes we’ll have slow-motion clips / tabs, see for example our previous workshop with lots of good musical examples: https://troygrady.com/channels/talking-the-code/crosspicking-with-the-wrist/

Let us know if there are other particular things you really like / want to see more of when it comes to lesson format…we’ll see what we can do!

2 Likes

Fun in a bun! Will hop on for a bit during lunch

1 Like

If you’re into crosspicking the previous broadcast is required viewing because it lays out the core concepts of how much of this works, and we won’t be repeating that in this broadcast so much as building on those concepts.

Moving forward, yes, things will be organized in an easy-to-follow chapterized way on the new platform but they won’t necessarily be “seminars” as that’s just a term we sort of co-opted anyway. But accessible and organized, yes.

4 Likes

That was cool!

First live event that I manage to watch live from start to finish! I even skipped the second half of the Brazil vs Serbia world cup game to watch it! I didn’t ask any question because cross-picking is still not my highest priority (read, I still suck and cross-picking still looks like science fiction to me). But I enjoyed this more than two hours long workshop.

I wouldn’t hide that when Troy cranked up the gain for a minute, I said “more of that please!”. I don’t know in which form such a live event would come. But I am sure a lot of other topics will be approached in the upcoming live events.

It was also funny to hear Adam giggling in the background. You guys seem to be having fun doing this. Which is good for all of us!

Cheers \m/

1 Like

We do! We like doing the live broadcasts, even though stuff always goes wrong and my delivery is always an X factor. This one in particular rambled a bit so chopping out a bunch of that in the edit to make it a little more coherent. We’re almost done with that, and the main talk should be up today / tomorrow for subscribers.

In the mean time, here’s a cool clip we just pulled out for the YouTubes about motor learning stuff:

7 Likes

Ok the talk is edited and up on the platform, with 77 extracted clips. We don’t have tab for them yet but Soundslice is online in both regular and slow speeds.

For those who missed this, it’s not just a talk about a crosspicking technique. It’s also our best introduction to how compound movements work, and how to recognize what their ingredients are:

https://troygrady.com/channels/talking-the-code/crosspicking-with-the-wrist-and-forearm/

The companion to this is the first crosspicking talk, which doubles as our best introduction to how the wrist works:

https://troygrady.com/channels/talking-the-code/crosspicking-with-the-wrist/

Taken together, both of these represent our current state-of-the-art knowledge of arm and hand movements. If you’ve only ever watched the original seminars or the Pickslanting Primer, these are a nice step up in terms of clarity on the motions themselves, how they work, and how to use them.

7 Likes