CTC Instructor Certificate Idea

Thanks @Troy for the reply. My question came from a place of wanting to guard the site from any misinformation or disinformation. As other posters have mentioned, you, Brendan and the rest of the CTC team are “on it” but we all want to see it continue for a long time to come…

1 Like

Could you PM the joke to me?

1 Like

Since Yngwie’s “Trilogy” came up in another thread, I realize I missed earlier that this is very nearly a description of Trilogy’s non-ironic album cover:

2 Likes

This look began and ended for me with Crossroads. Yngwie crossed the line with the Hydra!

lol…you got me. But in my defense, I added the lightning bolts.

2 Likes

I think it’s an interesting idea in principle, less as a “certificate” for the real world, but I guess more for a way of indicating “subject matter experts” as they say in the business world on various techniques. For example, on the crosspicking video, Troy gave Tommo a shout-out as being an excellent two-way pickslanter - if his grasp of the technique also crosses over to a good ability to help others with it, then indicating that somehow could potentially be useful.

In practice though… how would you go about doing that? A forum badge? That would take a lot of coding support. A thread listing subject matter experts in various diciplines might be easier, but would need to be stickied or put in its own separate forum, I guess. Also, any time you recognize one group of users but not another, you run into potential issues with hurt feelings.

I run a board with a couple buddies (shameless plug - metalguitarist.org, basically all the old admins and mods from the original sevenstring.org team) and we have a Forum MVP usergroup we use - I think something like that could be applicable here, though maybe I’d broaden it a little - particularly helpful members regardless of ability, subject matter experts, any members who are either well-known pros or were featured in a CtC analysis, that kind of thing.

We may be a little ahead of ourselves though - this is still a reasonably small board, and if you spend any time at all posting here and watching other member’s videos, you do start to get a sense who’s really got the hang of someone and who’s a pretty credible source of advice.

2 Likes

Also, I’m vehemently opposed to anything that will give the CTC team less time to churn out actual content. I think based on the size of the board, there’s currently no net savings to their time from pursuing this concept.

4 Likes

I’m with then general consensus that because of the size of the community I feel most people know who has the knowledge in a subject and they usually get tagged by others in certain threads anyway. For example, I’ve been tagged along side John in numerous threads about developing speed or various hyperpicking threads (that’s for everyone for doing that!) and I frequently see @Frylock and @tommo tagged as well. I think @Drew’s idea of a ‘topic expert’ badge quite intriguing though!

2 Likes

Agreed! I think it seems the consensus is having some sort of certificate or badge is not necessary, yet. If maybe ever? The board has developed organically over time and has maintained its integrity. But if and when it gets too big, maybe using a badge system would be a viable idea…

1 Like

I think I’ll just sign every post I make with “Jake Estner, Certified Awesome Guitarist” and that should clear things up.

Jake Estner
Certified Awesome Guitarist

2 Likes

We’re going to need to see your documentation, sir.

Please pull your guitar over to the sidewalk, switch off your amp and oscillate your picking hand from 09:00 to 02:00.

1 Like

Interesting idea.

Frylock
Certifiable

3 Likes

As long as Saint @Troy approves of your title I think it’s a GO

1 Like

Ok glad you guys approve.

Jake Estner
Certified Awesome Guitarist

4 Likes