Current UWPS - How do I handle 1 Note per String?

Hey lads!

After posting a few videos here, the community and Troy helped me identify my pretty textbook Escaped Downstrokes technique. I’ve slowly started working on improving this, because it feels fast, fluid and effortless. I swap between slightly pronated and slightly supinated UWPS, depending on whether I need muting.

And while it’s great fun to (sloppily) blaze through UWPS-optimized scalar patterns, and I’m sure my neighbours are absolutely delighted, this isn’t actually the music I want to play.

I want to play this:

------------------------- -------------------------- -------------------------------- ----------------------------
12—12—12—12— —11-----11-----11---- –12----12----12----12----- –11-----------------------
------------------------- -------------------------- ------------------------------- ---------12-----9-12-14-
—7----7----7----7— ------6-6----6-6----6– -----10----10----10----10– -----9-9----9-9-----------
------------------------- ------------------------- -------------------------------- ----------------------------

This is Obscura’s Anticosmic Overload, but reallistically, all tech-death songs have string-skipped licks like this, necessitating 1NPS. And these, I can’t.

At the moment I use outside alternate picking for the symmetrical stuff (first bar): U-D U-D U-D U-D - and inside economy for the asymmetrical (second): D-U-D D-U-D D-U; and swapping between the two is awkwakrd and prone to tripping me up.

I’ve no way of filming myself right now, so I was wondering - how do those of you with one-way escaped motions handle 1NPS things? Should I embrace economy and try to clean that up? Should I try to get some form of cross-picking going? Should I just focus on UWPS and continue cleaning that up?

I can’t, for the life of me, get DWPS - no matter how much I supinate my arm, I keep reverting to escaped upstrokes, or at best fully-trapped picking, even if I do Marty Friedman type supination + flexion, so TWPS doesn’t seem to be in my future for now. The closest imitation I can do are muted gallops on the lowest string, but that’s also trapped, there just aren’t any lower strings to get the pick trapped between.

Thanks!

edit: Yep it’s totally escaped downstrokes, not sure what I was thinking. Thanks!

I’m sorry that I haven’t got any good tips for tackling this lick other than that this seem to be a typical cross picking style lick.

But I just reacted on the decription of your style as “Escaped upstrokes”-technique. Isn’t it in fact an Escaped downstrokes- technique. Just want to not confuse fellow forum readers. :slight_smile:

Looking forward to your progression with this! I also have big problems with the same type of licks.

1 Like