David Grier Wheel Hoss

Hey Troy, love David Grier interview and his 4 speeds playing ‘Wheel Hoss’. Its great you use soundslice, excellent learning program. I downloaded all the tab for the 4 different speeds, and maybe this is a dumb newbie question but damn, same piece 'Wheel Hoss" but all 4 tabs are totally different. What is the reason for that Troy? Is one of them the ‘actual’ version, and others excerpts? Not one is the same. Help!

I think he went over it actually in the full interview. When he’s running past Warp 10 and into Ludicrous speed and then again on into plaid, there’s literally no time or possible way to play the more melodic and interesting things in the slower versions. Ornamentation is dropped and speed is paramount.

That’s (likely) why the more pedestrian (lol @ considering anything David does to be “lesser” but you know what I mean I think) versions are more intricate and melodic versus the machine gun blitz of the up-tempo ones.

Ah could be thanks, I remember him mentioning that but even the first few notes are different its so odd. So in a way the faster version has less ornamentation and should be ‘simpler’ if I played it at my speed which is about 50 ha ha, maybe that is the version I should try and learn then, the faster ‘simpler’ version at a very slow speed for a beginner.

Might be worth a shot yeah. The problem is that these guys are so damn good that even their “simple” stuff is usually a bridge too far and I run into problems anyway! Like I tried to learn Andy Wood’s version of Red Haired Boy but ended up throwing away all my guitars and taking up the melodica instead…

Ha Ha yeah I can always fill mine with dirt and turn in into a planter!