DBX Question - All the time, or sometimes?

Okay so I bet this question might have been discussed… somewhere… but I couldn’t find it, so I guess I shall re-ask if it has already been asked.

Andy Wood is a DSX player who has a DSX setup, and employs DSX as needed - so does that mean that his smashing it out with DSX for the most part unless he needs to do a DBX thing, and then he just uses as required? So not DBX all the time. Or does he do it all the time? Just curious.

Now when he DOES do his DBX stuff, does he have a tendency to start those arpeggio and roll moves starting on an upstroke? Or because he’s in DBX-mode and it doesn’t matter, he starts with a downstroke? Or is it both ways at any given time due to his DBX mastery?

Thanks dudes.

I think he is primarily DSX especially at his face melting tempos. So I’d say definitely not DBX all the time. There are plenty DSX exclusive clips. Now, sometimes he’ll do a helper motion if the phrase has just occasional USX needed. This might create the illusion that he always does DBX but…he doesn’t always.

When he does DBX, all the examples I remember seeing from his interviews started on a downstroke. In theory he doesn’t HAVE to, but it’s probably what he’s used to.

1 Like

Ahhh yeah! Thanks for the reply, Joe! That’s kind of what I thought about Andy’s playing also. It makes sense to utilize whatever single escape you have to it’s fullest, and then double escape when necessary. Andy is so much fun to listen to isn’t he? His playing is just so adventurous!

1 Like

Yeah he is awesome. I met him in person back in '04 when we were both just youngin’s lol! My band was recording in Knoxville TN and Andy’s then-band were local and had just finished recording with the same guy.

We got to see him play in some “other” band that he was also in while we were down there. Even back then he was scary good. Just solo after solo, all improvised and all perfect. He was a super nice guy in person, as I’m sure it’s no surprise.