Demo track for my melodic death metal project

I’ve been writing out about 4-5 songs so far for this, working with a drummer buddy, eventually we’ll have genuine recordings of all the parts. We have lyrics planned out, though still somewhat incomplete and folks who will at least be able to do studio vocals/bass so hopefully this will be fleshed out sometime later in the year.

Was really happy with my writing on this one though - forewarning that this is all unmixed and the ending isn’t entirely complete, and the ending solo is improvised. Planning to write the actual solo in the next couple weeks.

4 Likes

This is badass! Really into those harmonies. Great playing!

1 Like

Cool stuff - always love Metal stuff!
Do you have a list of the gear you use?
i.e. guitar/amp/pedals/mics/cans/monitors/software and daw?

Hey - it’s all done through an AxeFx standard into a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, DAW is just Reaper, drums are programmed into guitar pro, exported as a Midi to reaper and I apply the EZ drummer Death Metal expansion to it, generally maps over automatically without any adjustment.

Later on the final drums will be recorded from an Alesis electric kit used as a controller for the EZ drummer samples.

2 Likes

Great - thanks for the info!
I’m trying to finally recorded something that’ll I’ll put proper effort into and that I end up being happy with - and I think your stuff sound great - always good to know the gear behind it!

1 Like

One piece of advice for lowering the barrier of entry - especially if you wanna play metal, the guitar plugins like Rhino from Aurora DSP or some of the Neural DSP plug ins can be used and imported to Reaper. Rhino is one I like personally, and under $100, you can just plug directly into your audio interface and apply it like an effect in Reaper.

2 Likes

I have the Tone-X pedal at the moment - which sounds damn good! But I’ve been hearing great things about the free plugin: https://github.com/sdatkinson/neural-amp-modeler

plugin here:

1 Like

I love that we can do this now. Well done!

1 Like