Determined Guitarist from the Uk

Hi all,
Hoping to finally get the speed, accuracy and fluidity I’ve been struggling to achieve in my playing :metal::slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Amen brother! I’m in the UK here and trying for the same…

2 Likes

Awesome dude!
What are you working on at the minute?

1 Like

basically just general technique, especially my right hand, which is awful, and was for years until last year.

I used to move the pick by wiggling my thumb, and no wrist, which meant I couldn’t get any accuracy/speed. It’s taken me a whole year to get rid of this habit, but building speed and fluidity with the wrist is just as hard :s. I’m trying to do it with crosspicking bluegrass songs on my acoustic - which i love listening to and trying to play…

What are you working on in particular

1 Like

I used to do the same thing! It sucked, It took me ages to get used to picking from the wrist but now it just seems normal and makes sense.

I’ve never really given bluegrass a try, Is that the type of sound you’re going for?
Sounds like a good way to go for wrist fluidity.
I really like the cross picking stuff Andy wood does on mandolin it looks so confusing tho.

At the minute I’m working on my upward pick slanting, trying to find a comfortable hand position where I can mute at the same time.
It’s gonna take a lot of coffee!

1 Like

Hey man
yeah I love bluegrass/country, and Brad Paisley in particular. I did build up some stuff with hybrid picking, but I have gone back to basics with bluegrass and fiddle tunes, it seems like all the greats learned from there, so I am trying that.

Yes picking from the wrist is hard - how long did it take you? I have been working on alternate picking for a year now, about 3 hours a day, but I can’t seem to pick a whole song at more than 80bpm (16th notes). I can burst speed at up to 150bpm for maybe a bar or two, but any longer than that and it all falls apart?

You sound like you are more advanced than I am - any words of encouragement? I am on this road and it’s pretty demoralizing at times, but I am so desperate to get this…

hey!

I don’t remember exactly how long it took but i do remember that finding a comfortable hand position/pick grip/pick helped not only with the wrist motion but also with stamina by keeping the motion relaxed.

I am in now way an advanced player there is so much i need to work on.

I get that it can be rough. Just remember this is something you enjoy and when it stops being fun just take a break, play something completely different or have a break from guitar all together so you can get re inspired.

If i am working on technique and its just not happening, ill give it a rest and try to write something or jam over a backing track, and when i go back to whatever i was trying to do its usually a little less impossible.

Hope this is helpful dude.

2 Likes

Uk here too , good luck with your picking odyssey , all the best …paul