Diminished fours fingering - need help/clarification

Working on my helper moves. Love these clips as exercises. In the video clip, and I cannot see how Troy is fingering the notes 9 to 12. Is that 4 1, 2 1 in order to make that shift down? I do not think it is 4 1, 4 1 because I don’t think that can be done at speed. Thanks!!

Hey sorry, I see you mentioned no one responded in a different thread. Do you have a direct link to the clip you’re talking about?

Thanks!!!

Ah I see what you mean. Give me a few minutes, I’ll see if I can sort that for you

Dang this is hard. It’s more of an optical illusion I think, because the tabs are not synced with the video, and I feel like maybe even the audio drifts when you slow it way down. My initial reaction is that it is 4 1, 4 1. I’m not familiar enough with this lick to tackle it all at speed, but I can play other things around that speed with the same shift and fingering choices I’ll keep at it though and let you know if I come to any conclusions.

Ok, I think it’s like this:

FYI, I just figured this out myself but Soundslice has this cool feature where you can hide the tabs

It makes the video player WAY bigger and you can control the loop points directly on the waveform of the file itself. It’s really handy to lock it down to a certain fraction of a second:

EDIT: and good freaking luck playing that lick lol! That’s a nightmare for both hands. I’ll be sticking with stuff that’s one-way-escape :slight_smile:

Wow, thanks! I thought it looked 4 1 4 1 but that seemed like a major shift to do at speed. I did play around with sound slice and looping which was nice. I will give this a go. I feel like I can almost do it easier with a 2 1 shift but I think learning how to do these shifts to get up and down the fretboard is good. I will let you know how I do, but I am pretty sure it is not going to be very fast. We shall see. If I hit 150, I would be happy enough.

1 Like

I’d say at the end of the day, if you find something that works for you that’s the thing to do :slight_smile:

One really cool concept Troy pushes pretty hard is to start something at about the target speed. That’s of course easier said than done depending on the phrase, but you may be able to do that even with little chunks of it. It’s important, because even if it’s sloppy, you’ll know whether or not the motions you’re using or the fingering choices will actually work at the high speeds. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve trudged through stuff at 60% of the speed and played it squeaky clean, only to find out by the time I get to 80% or 90% that the finger choices I’d been using at the slow speed just wouldn’t work. So if you start from the top speed, even though it will be a slop fest, you’ll at least know if you’ve got something to work with. Then, drop it down to a speed where you can handle it, taking care to use the same motions and fingering choices that worked at the fast sloppy tempo.