Dinosaur! Tommo tries to play slow and heavy - did he manage? Tabs included

I have always unsure (in my limited experience) that quad-tracking made it feel that much heavier. Do you have a version of this with rhythms double tracked only?

Maybe not heavier - but kinda “creamier” or something? :smiley:

Unfortunately I just updated the Rhino plugin from beta (v0.8) to release (v1.0) - and I lost all my settings :man_facepalming: :man_facepalming: :man_facepalming:

Edit: later today I can upload the DI tracks for anyone who wants to fiddle with them

Edit 2: however I do have a render of the isolated track for the first 2 rhythm guitars. This is without any processing eq etc (but the basic tone is similar to the final version):

Haha I was going to make a Sunn O))) joke too!

At 75 BPM this is BLISTERING

Saw Sunn live a few years ago it was very cool. Misty, even.

1 Like

This just showed up in ,y youtube suggested videos - sounds great, man!

I don’t know if there’s a right answer between double and quad tracking - if your takes are extremely tight, and you’re using slightly different tones so you’re not building up in certain frequency rqnges, then yeah, it can sound huge. the reaosn I’ve always steered away from quad tracking (I mean, aside from being an average-at-best rhythm player :rofl: ) in all but very specific situations (say, a fairly lightly distorted stereo pair on top of a heavily distorted stereo pair, for a specific section of a song) is that writing instrumental guitar music, sometimes having very big rhythm tones can make it tough to fit in a lead sound - you kind of pull it off here by going for a very smooth, rounded off lead sound and having a lot of edge to your rhythm tracks, but the bigger the rhythm sound is, the more compromise it can lead to trying to get everything to fit in a mix.

1 Like

Hey, WHAT is that guitar support??? At least I think it’s a guitar support. I use something similar at times, called the “neck up” but yours looks more precise and sturdy.

Edit: ah from some googling I see it’s the “performaxe” yes? how do you like it?

1 Like

@JakeEstner here’s my quick review of the performaxe :slight_smile:

TLDR it does the job and makes my playing more comfortable, but the implementation is not perfect. Materials feel mostly good and well built, but I think the mechanism for adjusting size and attaching to the guitar could have been simpler. The most inconvenient thing is if you have guitars of different thicknesses, then you’ll have to use an Allan key to manipulate 4 screws to set the proper gap size. Also, when you lock on to the guitar you have to tighten some large screws by hand which is also not ideal. But then again, I don’t know any alternatives and I really needed something to improve my posture when playing sitting down.

PPS: the classical posture does not work for me

Have you tried the “neck up”? I like it ok. For me I’ve found there’s no one position or solution but rather I vary depending on what I’m playing. Just curious did you ever come across that very long video on sitting position that I did? I posted it a while back but I don’t want to link clutter derail your thread. I’m just passionate about position!

1 Like