Distinct "picking techniques" you recognize in your playing?

In the last week I’ve tried to collect my thoughts regarding the different mechanics I use while playing. The intent was to categorize my fretting and picking hand positions and movements to better understand what the optimal way of playing different passages.

Concerning the picking hand, I recognize the following modes of picking in my playing, which feel distinct and have different strengths and weaknesses.

Mode 1:

This is the first mode of picking I developed, during my mid-teens when I was learning to play pieces by Paul Gilbert and Steve Morse with strict alternate picking.

This mode of picking is a primary neutral, 2-way pickslanting and crosspicking combination technique. The picking movement is primarily forearm rotation, with some wrist extension and flexion on the downstroke and upstroke (respectively). There is constant “thumb bump” and approximately 45 degrees of leading edge picking. When crosspicking, the movements are quite large. When playing scalar passages, pickslanting is introduced as required and movements become smaller, but is still a combination of forearm rotation and flexion and extension.

All strings lower than the string being played are damped with the flesh of the palm near the pisiform bone of the wrist. Higher strings are damped with the fretting hand.

In this mode, I’m using strict alternate picking (almost) exclusively. In fact, I feel like sweeping in this mode ruins my groove and rhythmic flow. The only time I break from strict alternate picking is to allow for consecutive outside string changes when playing string skipping licks.

There is a hard, percussive attack to the picked notes, as in Gilbert’s and Morse’s playing, which I can’t eliminate nor reduce very significantly. I have a large dynamic range and pinch harmonics are easy on downstrokes. I can reach Gilbert/Morse type speeds in this mode.

The hard attack does not blend well with hammers and pull-offs when playing legato. Sweeping string changes, as in pure DWPS licks feels strange, as does trying to incorporate any hybrid picking.

These issues are handled by changing my hand position slightly to facilitate my second picking mode.

Mode 2:

This is a 2-way pickslanting technique with greater facility for incorporating hybrid picking. There is a slight primary downward pickslant, which can be exaggerated. The degree of upward pickslanting I can implement is minimal.

I feel like picking movement is primarily wrist deviation, though I think there is some very slight rotation also. I can crosspick by introducing extension on a downstroke from the primary down position. There is much smaller degree of leading edge picking than in Mode 1, and a thumb bump is not noticeable.

The lower strings are damped by the flesh of the palm between the pisiform bone and the opponens. Higher strings are damped with the finger tips or damped by the fretting hand.

My capacity for strict alternate picking is reduced compared to Mode 1, but sweeping and hybrid picking feel much more natural. There is a softer, rounder attack to the picked notes that I can blend well with legato and hybrid picked notes.

I believe this is very similar to Marshall Harrison’s picking approach.

Mode 3:

This mode is a pure DWPS system, which is attained by tucking the finger tips of the picking hand from Mode 2 to allow for greater supination. I think this is almost exactly the Eric Johnson mode of picking. The greater degree of supination results in more edge picking than in Mode 2. I feel like the picking movement is pure wrist deviation when playing at speed.

The lower strings are damped primarily with the ulnar side of the palm. The flesh of the curled fingers touch the higher strings, damping the high strings.

It does what a downward pickslanting system does. The pick attack is just slightly harder than Mode 2; it’s articulate and I feel I have good dynamic range.

For some lines, I prefer to switch my pick grip so that the pick is held between the pad of the index finger and the thumb tip, which results is a severe degree of trailing edge picking.

This picture shows clearly shows that the degree of trailing edge picking is about 70 degrees! There is also very little pick depth available to me. The degree of edge picking and the shallow depth combined results in less resistance from the strings, so pickstrokes feel almost effortless. I cannot reliably execute pinch harmonics with this grip.

There are two further modes which use this grip.

Mode 4:

This is the loosest, most relaxed hand position I can adopt while holding a pick. I would describe this mode as a primary downward, 2 way pickslanting and crosspicking technique. I feel like this position has a lot in common with Mode 2, though my capacity for hybrid picking is slightly reduced (the picking hand pinky is less well aligned for this purpose than in Mode 2), sweeping is less comfortable and string damping feels less comprehensive. I feel like the movement mechanic is again primarily based on deviation, though I feel like there is a small amount of forearm rotation too. Again, I can crosspick by using extension on downstrokes.

Due to the pick depth and degree of edge picking, the tone is very round and the attack is quite soft. Hitting the strings harder fails to give the sharp, percussive attack of Mode 1.

Curling my fingertips inward to allow for greater supination, we arrive at the final mode of picking in my playing.

Mode 5:

This is a pure DWPS system. It feels very much like Mode 3, but with less exertion required on the pickstrokes. I feel like the movement mechanic is pure deviation, and I can execute this movement as fast as I can move my fretting hand. If you asked me to play descending sixes as fast as I possibly could, this would be the mode of picking I would use. I think this mode, along with Mode 4, is basically the approach to picking that Shawn Lane used.

I notice some common features to all modes. I don’t feel like I’m moving my fingers at all in any picking mode. In all modes, very little pressure is exerted into the guitar by the picking hand. Contact with the strings is for damping unwanted noise, not support. String tracking is primarily via elbow movement in all modes. Since all modes are almost floating, the picking hand is always highly mobile.

Any wrist extension on an upstroke feels completely wrong to me at even slow to medium speeds, which I believe explains why I never gravitated to a primary upward pickslanting system when crosspicking, as Molly Tuttle uses. I think I have a knack for motor learning, but I don’t seem to be able to internalize that type of movement. I think this also explains, in part, why I never had issues with stringhopping.

All of these modes are pretty sensitive to changes away from my preferred picks, which are the standard sized Dunlop Jazz IIIs (usually the EJ version, but I use Ultex for harder rock and acoustic playing). My technique suffers greatly if I try to use another style of pick.

I have been experimenting with the Steve Morse approach, with the 3-finger pick grip and rotation and flexion/extension combination mechanic, but this is still very muchin it’s infancy

Finally, I had been thinking about introducing an elbow based movement mechanic to complement one of these picking modes. I feel most comfortable attempting this in the same position as Mode 5. I can tremolo pick faster with the elbow movement in short bursts, but since I’m already keeping up with my fretting hand, I’m not really sure now what the benefit of practicing an elbow movement would be for me. The types of music I play don’t involve much tremolo picking.

Do you recognize distinct modes of picking in your playing, or do you rely on one single mode exclusively? If you use multiple modes, what are they and what benefits and drawbacks do you perceive in each mode? If not, why not? Are you staying focused on that mode of picking or are you trying to develop other modes? If you use multiple modes, do you recognize common traits between them?

8 Likes

Great post Tom! Probably everyone has several techniques they switch between, and maybe we need to stop thinking of picking technique as one thing, and more like a bundle of them.

2 Likes

Thanks @Troy!

I think it’s unreasonable to think that there is one, ideal picking method which facilitates elite levels of strict alternate picking, economy/sweep picking and hybrid picking equally well with complete control of rhythm, dynamics, tone and articulation. It just seems to good to be true to me.

If it exists, I haven’t seen it yet.

I’d like to stress that I’m interested in much more than just high speed mechanics here. If there is an unusual mode of picking you employ which you feels provides some real benefit, I want to hear about it, even if it’s completely unsuited to high speed playing.

1 Like

While this one is probably self-evident to many people, one example would be picking with a blunt attack that stretches the string in an exaggerated way before it releases, created a distinctively aggressive and “snappy” attack. Stevie Ray Vaughan is perhaps the best known person to employ this on occasion. Certainly not a speed technique, but provides another color on the palette.

2 Likes

When I play hard rhythn with fifth I usually use exaggerated downward pickslanting. I think many people do it. While in my ‘fast mode’ I use moderate DWPS or flat picking…
P.S. I was looking at my records and I noticed that my pickslanting changes from lowest strings to highest 0_0

1 Like

Nice post, Tom, would like to see some of your trailing edge picking from a down the strings angle. I’m a trailing edge picker and am always interested to see close up of other people doing it.

Best wishes mate!

1 Like

Hi @Frylock. I’m familiar with that technique, but I think it’s good to include it in discussion for completeness. Stevie also use the blunt side of the pick with the point towards the headstock. Michael Landau and Scott Henderson utilize these techniques regularly also. I rarely use these techniques personally.

Hi @ASTN . I’ve noticed that several players use an exaggerated downward slant when playing hard rhythm, but I’ve never felt any benefit when doing it myself. Do you feel there is any particular benefit?

Hi @aliendough. By “down the strings,” do you mean the angle of my still pictures (the “magnet” angle), or a player’s view? I’d record some short videos but I don’t have a tripod, all of those pictures were taken with my free left hand.

2 Likes

It’s hard to say… For me, it’s like I have more aggressive sound when using exaggerated DWPS, though it may be just my imagination.

Hi @Tom_Gilroy yes that’s what I meant- the down the strings angle, the same angle as in the pics you’ve posted.

Hi Tom, time to revive this topic for the benefit of all the forummers :slight_smile:

I also have a couple of different modes/postures that I use in my playing. Broadly speaking, a primary DWPS (supinated forearm) and a primary UWPS (pronated-probably-forearm).

My problem is that these two feel quite different and I have to warm them up separately. I also don’t find it too easy to switch between one and the other in the middle of a song, or even worse within the same phrase, because I need a little time to readjust my aim so to speak.

Did you have similar issues in mixing the various modes? Do you specifically practice switching between them?

Thank you!

1 Like

Hi @tommo.

For me, my default method is Mode 2 described above. Transitioning between Modes 2 and 3 is easy and I can do this comfortably within a phrase. Transitions between Modes 4 and 5 are comfortable also.

I typically don’t switch between Mode 1, Modes 2&3 and Modes 4&5 during a phrase, but I switch between these methods quite quickly between phrases. I’ve never set myself any specific exercises for switching between modes. I can maneuver the pick between the various grips without too much difficulty.

It’s rare that I have my full facility in all modes at once. I wouldn’t say I need to warm them up separately, but there are specific difficulties in each mode and I need to practice using each of them regularly to keep them sharp. Mode 1 specifically requires maintenance to ensure accurate string tracking at speed. I can sometimes kick in a very fast elbow mechanic in Mode 5, but I’m not fully comfortably with that mechanic yet and if I haven’t tried to do it for a few days, my body has some trouble figuring out how to do again.

2 Likes

I had a go at answering this question in my ‘introduce yourself’ piece, ‘My one year progress’, which is fast slipping down the blog postings (it looks currently to be at about number twenty or so).

I wrote it up about two weeks ago and then posted in last weekend because I felt my three movements were starting to join together and I wanted to get something down for me to refer back to and for others to read if they were at a similar stage.

It felt odd having an alternate picking motion that went from string to string with the elbow with two fingers on the guitar body, and then a crosspicking movement that was entirely wrist with no fingers on the guitar body.

But I filled the gap between the two movements by getting a flattened fist with my little finger down that gives me a steady mix of elbow and wrist movement.

And having those three separate motions has allowed me to get all of them linking together and I am fast streamlining the movements I make to transition between the three.

2 Likes

Here’s a little YouTube playlist which starts with some videos discussing the picking modes discussed in this thread. I can give more depth or demonstration of the modes, or I can move to new topics.

Tom.

2 Likes

Thanks for the videos Tom, I found them interesting and enjoyed to hear about your guitar journey :slight_smile:

One question that just came up to me: what are the typical mistakes / inaccuracies that happen with the various modes?

For me, with my mode closest to your #1, the main problem is definitely string noise or hitting the wrong string by mistake (I do tend to make large and heavy pickstrokes though). With my DWPS - EJ style mode, which is quite different from your #3, I tend to have problems with timing when mixing alternate picking with the 2-string downward sweeps.

1 Like

The most common errors in Mode 1 are tracking issues at speed when I haven’t been practicing it for a while. There’s little contact with the guitar, so there’s little tactile reference. Also, excess string noise with gain is a problem when it’s not kept sharp.

Modes 2 and 3 are very reliable for me, due to the comprehensive damping. Because the capacity for damping is so strong, I can play with a very light touch and keep the gain high for legato playing.

If I spend too long practicing unamplified, I can become less aware of any deficiencies in damping (in any mode) and it can take a practice session or so to get the exact feel of that control back. I try not to practice too much legato unplugged.

Modes 4 and 5, it can be hard to project due to the minimal depth. I have to be conscious to avoid lazy string contact, and really try to cut through the string decisively.

Though I wasn’t really looking for anything new, I discovered a new mode yesterday that worked for me immediately.

It’s actually more comfortable with a thin, standard size pick and it’s much louder than my typical playing. I’d never worn out a pick in my life and the pick I was using yesterday is already well worn.

Ok I’m hyped :smiley:
20 characters

Hey Tom. Thanks for doing the videos.

I don’t always have the patience to interpret the text of your posts, but your generosity and commitment to rigor is always apparent. :+1:

1 Like

Hi @Frylock.

I’m glad you enjoyed the videos. I appreciate that it can be difficult to get through my posts; they’re not easy reading. They’re usually quite long and they tend to be very in-depth. I hope that the content makes it worthwhile.

I think videos discussing concepts might be the best approach going forward.

1 Like

I didn’t want to sound like I’m complaining. I’m just happy you’re making videos. :smiley:

1 Like