Do you ever write songs in the style of a particular band / album?

Do you ever set out to a write a song in the style of a particular band? For example when you start writing a new song do you ever think to yourself: “I’m gonna write this song in the style of Metallica” or “I’m going to write this song in the style of Dream Theater”?

I sometimes like to deliberately write a song in the style of a particular band. For example I might think: “I’m going to write a song that would have fit right in in the Operatio Mindcrime album by Queensryche.” It’s not as if I’m taking specific riffs and just changing them slightly because I don’t like doing that. It’s just an overall sound I like to go for at times like early Judas Priest or 80s Queensryche.

2 Likes

Kinda. I would write a few riffs which sounds like this band or that artist, then I would find myself experimenting with it so as to not really try to make it not sound like a certain song…which eventually would still kinda remind myself and other people of that certain song lmao.

That’s cool. I try to not make it sound like a certain song by a band but more like a song that would have fit well on a certain album.