Do you like scary movies?

great - thanks for responding everyone! - like I said, so interesting how to me how some people can love horror movies and others are negatively affected by them. I’ve known people on both sides of the fence. Also as Fossegrim mentioned it depends on the type of horror for some people as well. Interesting topic!

Also too, what we find scary changes over time. I’m sure hammer horror or really gothic horror in general at one point was terrifying to many. Around the time a lot of that stuff written, people really were superstitious and legitimately feared it. Here in New England, people used to exhume bodies all the time to check for vampirisms up until the late 1800’s, and had all sorts of creative ways of desecration.

Now we see those movies and story lines as old pulp fiction or penny dreadfuls, or turn those characters into cheap teen romance.

Was this a typo, or a legit subgenre I’ve never heard of? Lol

It’s horror movies where people get hit with a hammer, of course. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Hammer is a British film company that’s been around for ages - they made a fair number of horror films, which were mostly gothic in nature (lots of Dracula and Frankenstein films, among others).

1 Like

Hammer film productions in London. All your old Christopher Lee gothic horror films.

1 Like

@Fossegrim @Riffdiculous wow, never knew that! Could be before my “era”, as I don’t think I’ve seen any of those.

Was a big thing in the 70s. Lots of great hammer horrors, but also a lot of not so great stuff…

Yeah, I mean growing up I only would typically see them on some syndicated TV channel as some Saturday or Sunday movie, especially since my grandparents had cable, but If you are really immersed in the history of horror film making or gothic horror in general, than it’s one of the production era’s you can’t really miss.

Yeah it wasn’t big budget stuff by any means, particularly since the going sentiment back then was that horror in general really had no place in Hollywood, and no one really wanted to put up the money for it. Even today you get some good, but mostly shit. Thats the other draw of it. It doesn’t require a huge budget and the shit can be fun too.

1 Like

I haven’t seen a ton, but there are some Hammer productions I highly enjoy, like Captain Kronos: Vampire Hunter, and Twins of Evil. Good stuff around Halloween to set the mood.

Last year, I stumbled upon this movie called “Hereditary” - lemme tell ya, it had me on the edge of my seat the whole time!

1 Like

Indeed, one of the best in recent years.

Hereditary is a fantastic horror flick. Very enjoyable (or whatever that means in this context lol).

Love Hereditary, then realized that it was shot here after recognizing some locations lol