Do you like scary movies?

Scream quote aside (I am not actually a fan of that franchise) - do we have any horror film fans around? I am a bit of a movie buff in general, but particularly of horror. If so, do you have any all-time favorites, or were there any released in the past year you found particularly good?

1 Like

My all-time favorite is Alien - I think it’s perfect across the board (story, acting, cinematography, score, etc…). I like all the other films in the franchise to varying degrees (except the AvP films), but the original is best.

For recent films, 2021’s The Innocents was very good, and I also enjoyed Smile far more than I thought I would - it shared similarities with other films I was a fan of (It Follows, Sinister, The Ring).

2 Likes

I don’t know if you would really consider this horror but this was the last freaky movie that left an impression on me, psychological thriller category.

1 Like

I’ve not seen this, will seek it out!

Huge fan, latest watch was yesterday (Infinity Pool). That was a trip!

1 Like

Yeah I’m a huge horror fan.

I tend to prefer older ones like The Exorcist or Texas chainsaw massacre (original), but I also enjoy modern gore fests like Terrifier 2!

1 Like

Very much so. I’m with Yngwie on this one, my fave is Evil Dead but only the first one.

1 Like

I LOVE horror: some of my all time faves are Phantasm, Return of the Living Dead, Prince of Darkness, The Exorcist, The Blob (80’s version with Kevin Dillon), The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. I haven’t seen any new horror since Smile, but I’m really looking forward to M3gan and Skinamarink.

1 Like

No spoilers but I really enjoyed that one!

1 Like

I’m really looking forward to that one. It’s awesome that David’s children have his penchant for making excellent, weird ass films. haha

Nice to see some love for Prince of Darkness! It’s usually overshadowed by Carpenter’s other two films in the Apocalypse Trilogy (I love 'em all, though). RotLD is my favorite zombie film, too, and I ADORE Phantasm… everything you mentioned is great.

Skinamarink is one I’m particularly eager to check out. It’s been VERY divisive among my horror friends - everyone’s either loved it or totally despised it.

I fall in to the second camp there. It put me to sleep… and I usually love slow burn… :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Quoting a friend of mine describing Skinamarink here: “Here’s 3 minutes of staring at a darkly lit wall. Here’s 3 mins of staring at a darkly lit door. Here’s a window… You guessed it, darkly lit and for 3 mins. And so on.”

Still, I’m curious, perhaps against my better judgment. haha

1 Like

Give it a go, but don’t say you weren’t warned :joy:

1 Like

Not really a scary movie, but sometimes I will revisit Cory Kenshin’s channel to watch him do his spooky scary sunday YouTube videos.

1 Like

I’m fascinated by horror fans! I’ve have had many discussions with people and done research on the topic of whether horror fans actually experience genuine fear (terror) when watching films or is it more excitement?

What say the fans here? Have you ever been scared to the point
you cannot watch a movie a second time?

1 Like

I was quite young when I saw my first horror film (an edited-for-TV version of Friday the 13th part III), maybe 4 or 5 years old, but I became an instant fan. Oddly enough, they quite scared me at the time, but I craved them, anyway.

At some point, the general fear wore off, so I applaud a film that can “get” me now, even if its a cheap jump scare that’s used effectively. Even better if the film can unnerve me - make me feel a prolonged sense of dread, rather than a quick little fright (Under the Skin, Hereditary, Anti-Christ…).

But I’ve never seen a film that was too frightening to revisit, though there are films I won’t watch again, only due to them being too depressing, like Requiem for a Dream. haha

1 Like

I feel you on that one. I never had a desire to see it twice. It wasn’t just the depressing aspect, it was the general ickiness of the whole thing too knowing that it isn’t some far fetched fantastical story.

1 Like

It depends on which type of films you are talking about. Things like the typical slasher haunted house, or zombie flick I would have as a child, but not now, I find them kind of comical, and they are just enjoyable because some of them can be sort of absurd. I think that’s really the quality that I like about them. It’s just about having a good time, and the more you watch them the more you get desensitized. (Note I don’t care for zombie flick because they have been really over done, and I just find them kind of boring now, unless of course it’s Shawn of the dead). Some I won’t watch a second time because they were either so bad, or I don’t really see the need.

Some are just meant to be silly like Stitches, Or even the original evil dead trilogy, Tucker and dale, Idle hands etc. - I’m not even sure that should be a horror movie.

Others can have an initial shock value and uneasiness like the aforementioned hereditary, or for the time they were made, the original Wes craven last house, or exorcist.

I think it kind of just boils down to knowing what you’re in for. Some people like the cortisol hit of legitimately being scared, some people know what to expect and just see it as a good time or slight thrill.

It’s tough to say what fans get from horror movies, to me it’s not fear exactly. My favourites have a surreal dreamlike quality to them. I can’t imagine being too scared to watch a movie again, it’s inconceivable. But some are just too repulsive or disturbing. Nekromantic is one that I didn’t even want to own after watching, even for me that was too much. We Need to Talk About Kevin is another, for entirely different reasons . . . yikes.