Do you switch your picks?

Hi there!

From time to time I take some new pick which can be similar to my favorite pick or it can be totally different in shape and size. Well, actually, I do it for fun, but I’ve noticed that after I spend some time playing with another pick I have some progress when I return to my favorite… though, sometimes I end up with new favorite pick )

Another thing is that some techniques work with almost any pick. I guess it means that I really got these techniques, making them predictable and stable aka useful )

For now I’ve switched to thin pick (0.5mm). Considering that I usually stick with 1.5-3mm I expected tha it would feel really uncomfortable. But overall feeling is ok actually. And I like that snappy sound ) Also it makes me to make larger motions which may be good from a practical point of view I suppose…

Do you do something like this? Any thoughts on this topic are welcome!

I tend to skip between -
Flow ultex 1.5 (my favourite)
Flow ultex 1
And jazz lll Xl

I liked the .73 Dunlop nylon for a while, but once the novelty had worn off I went back to the 1.5.

I find that a change of pick can bring a quick rush of excitement of a potential breakthrough. This is usually a brief thing with me though and i return to the Flow 1 5. I think its definitely good to have them on rotation though.

I’ve actually been doing this a lot lately because it helps me feel like I have a new stimulus during longer practice sessions.

2 Likes

I used to be headstrong in only playing with “my” pick. Now I experiment all the time and find switching back and forth between various picks they all bring unique things to the table.

Im a huge fan of Swiss picks and Gravity picks as a general but I regularly go raid the music store for various ones I’ve never heard of or seen before.

1 Like

I do it all the time, it’s one of the key takeaways of CtC for me. Switching things around, like pick shape, gauge and material, trying different grips, it all comes together to help you improve. I see the different picks as training devices, instead of the search for “the one”. Not to mention the enormous effect they have on sound!

2 Likes

I was a lifelong jazz iii guy. I recently bought an assortment of Swiss picks and I am hooked! I did buy quite a few shapes and sizes and find the variety nice.

I have a favorite that I play 80% of the time, but the other 20% I use a lot of different picks from my collection. Different shapes, different materials… lots of fun.

I really struggle when switching picks in terms of feel and sound.