Documentary on history of Hip-Hop music

Even if “rap” isn’t your thing, the history of how Hip-Hop music came to be is pretty interesting, and watching the show below, I couldn’t help be reminded of “Cracking The Code Season 1”. In particular, while I had heard of Grandmaster Flash before, I didn’t realize how much of an “Eddie Van Halen” type DIY hacker he was, and how brilliantly creative he was in inventing a solution to achieve his musical goals.

This is 4 one-hour episodes that were released in 2016, and even if you hate rap, episode 1 is still totally worth the watch. It starts with about 20 minutes of exposition, which is still really interesting, but the “Cracking the Code” vibe really takes off when they get in-depth with Grandmaster Flash.

I only stumbled across it because it popped up on my Canadian Netflix (and apparently it was originally distributed by HBO Canada), but it should be available through various sources worldwide. Series official link below:

4 Likes

Thanks for posting! Haven’t watched this yet but it looks great, adding to my Netflix queue . I’m a big fan of hip-hop and am familiar with the outlines of the history but haven’t watched all that much in the way of in-depth profiles / biopic stuff…sounds like a lot of fun.

2 Likes

I listened to hiphop when I was little. I like that Grandmaster Flash song “white lines”. Hahahaha. I have a whole album of rap songs recorded that I never did anything with. They are pretty negative. So I stashed them away.

I recorded and shot a rap song in my pickup with a Macbook and a $40 android. I was new to my editing software and formatting. So I had video sync issues. I also smoked cigarettes then. It’s weird seeing that.