Does cross picking have a tremolo?

If cross picking or two way escape picking has its own tremolo motion, what would be its top speed?

Has anyone here played a two way escape tremolo, or even better can think of a player and/or song that uses it?

Hello,

I don’t have a definite answer but I can tell you about my own observations.

Crosspicking is my natural main motion and the only one I am able to do. I never felt the need to learn DWPS or UWPS since crosspicking always works.
I didn’t try to play at very high speed until recently and I am currently doing some interesting tests and observations :

-At very high speed (230-240 bpm) my tremolo picking allow me to do 2NPS, 3NPS, 4NPS or 6NPS without too much difficulty, except that I need a few more months to increase my accuracy.

-From what I know, if I was doing DWPS tremolo or UWPS tremolo I would struggle more in some playing situations but it’s not the case, the number of notes I have to play on each string doesn’t matter.

My conclusion for now is : at very high-speed, my tremolo motion is either very fast crosspicking or it somehow turned into 2WPS. I don’t know, and I am looking to order an used iPhone to record my technique properly very soon.

Now maybe my “high speed” motion has nothing to do with crosspicking and I just intuitively learnt another motion, but I thought it might be interesting to share my story since I can’t do DWPS or UWPS and still can play at high speed.

I think you’ve struck upon one way escapes when you’re playing tremolo.

And you articulate the closeness of the two motions when using tremolo. It was only yesterday that I have achieved what I think is a cross picking tremolo, and I could feel the eagerness of my hand to turn it into a pick slanting tremolo.

So the question is at what speed does one need to turn into the other to get to the faster speeds?

For me, it is around 150 bpm sixteenth that I feel my “tremolo motion” becomes way more effective than my normal crosspicking motion. And from what I read, it’s a common limit to crosspicking motions.

Now there are some persons who say they can do crosspicking at very high speed but I didn’t see clear videos of it until now, and I wonder if their motion doesn’t evolve into pickslanting (which is maybe what happens to me as well)

What I have found is the need to play softer than I would for a slanting tremolo to get the cross picking tremolo to work on my acoustic.