Downstroke missing string during paul gilbert 6s

I decided to film myself playing the descending PG 6s and found out that a lot of my downstrokes before changing strings are hitting the space in between the strings instead of the string itself
I’ve tried correcting it by playing it slower but everytime I increase the speed back to 120bpm I revert back to my old habit
I also found it harder to play the run on the high e and B strings compared to the other strings
Any tips on how to correct this? Or is it an issue with my picking technique in general

I’m pretty sure I’m running into the same issue at the same exact speed. I’d love to hear some people’s thoughts on this.

I am having the exact same issue except when ascending, at the 120bpm mark as well. All my other picking has come a long way but i find i cant get this run consistent at this tempo and beyond. Keen to hear other peoples thoughts on this too

I think the issue is that your (OP) picking is trapped, at least most of the time, and your body is avoiding swiping by utilizing these “phantom” pickstrokes. You could experiment with a more dramatic DSX angle (pronate a little while keeping the wrist motion the same) and see if that helps.

1 Like

Here’s some reps with a more exaggerated dsx angle

One thing I did was to intentionally making my picking motion as big as possible and it made it a bit better in terms of actually getting that downstroke to hit but its still very inconsistent
Also am I supposed to anchor with the fleshy part of my palm?

The first couple of attempts here were like before, with those glancing downstrokes and all trapped playing, but you fix it part of the way through - can you feel what you did differently?

(also, in general I’d say not to bake in any slo-mo footage on these videos and just shoot at as high a frame rate as possible in the first place, and upload only normal speed vid)

You can! Some do, some do not.

For the times I got it fixed I tried anchoring more on the fleshy palm area rather than the bony spot and actively try and make the pick strokes as big as I could especially the downstroke before the string change
Because before I emphasized the downstroke on the beat and the rest of the strokes were less loud and used a smaller motion so my pick attack was pretty inconsistent

Do have any TAB to share so I can follow along?

It’s from Technical Difficulties, measures 17-18 here.

1 Like