Downstroke vs Upstroke escape wrist motions - Help!

Thanks! Well both feel good in general.

USX I sometimes have the impression I may be adding some forearm rotation to the string transitions and is not just the wrist but feels better than the DSX.

DSX, yes it feels quite different from my original DSX as the thumb is not in contact with the lower strings in an attempt to do it more neutral so it helps in a future switching between both for DBX. This lack of contact of my thumb is also causing for some of the strokes to be way to shallow to the point I think I may be missing the string completely.

I must say I may be one of those persons who has always been used to play with way too much tension so this more relax picking makes me feel/think I have not positive contact between the pick and the string for each stroke.

1 Like

I certainly don’t hear you missing any notes here, the articulation is sounding very clear and consistent.
As for forearm rotation, if there is any, it’s very minor, I had to really look for it and I’m not sure if I see it. If you are feeling it, maybe it is there and you could work to try reduce it and keep it wrist only. Or if you can play fast with it as it is maybe go with it.
The two motions, usx and dsx are looking very similar. Same setup and anchor points, just the wrist moving in a different direction, so switching between these quickly should work no problem, with practice of course!

Maybe after some time practicing them separately, you could practice the ascending sequence of 4, 3nps. This will need both escapes

1 Like

Thanks! I have already started with a lick where DBX is required but not as often as the strictly 3 NPS modal scale patterns. I will post a video in the upcoming days.

1 Like

I have started integrating both escape motions with different licks. I want to make sure I am still on track when speeding up the technique and playing actual licks. Both escape motions still feel somewhat weird. I need to keep very relaxed specially on the USX motion.

I appreciate any feedback.

Here is a 2 adjacent strings lick.

Here is the initial 2 NPS string lick now played at the same speed with both escape motions.

And here is some initial attempt integrating both in a simple DBX lick. The transitions still do not feel natural.

2 Likes

DBX looks great to me, no issues I see!

1 Like

From what I can see, the mixed escapes sequence is looking great. I don’t see much, if any, change to the setup at all, just moving the wrist in different directions, which is ideal for this sort of mixed escapes playing.
These types of changes can take time to feel natural. Just keep working on it and in time it shouldn’t take much thought to get going

2 Likes

Thanks!

Yeah, the process is sometimes frustrating. Today I was practicing and barely made to the same speeds.