Dream Theater - The test that stumped them all - practice diary

While trying to increase my general speed to be able to tackle Train of thought stuff one day, I’ve decided to work on some DT songs which are not that challenging (but are still challenging).

This riff is a nightmare of mine, as it’s 2nps stuff. I play the intro riff starting on an upstroke, and it’s all alternate picked. My first day dealing with this, sorry for the crap video quality (my camera decided to record at 10fps for some reason) and the audio is also harsh, but I’ll do better quality recordings and document my progress of the song.

I’ve recorderd the guitar signal with the interface for better quality. Not perfect but not a bad start. It sounds okay with the backing track, I’d be happy if I could perform like this in a live situation.

1 Like

Love this song (both the “movement” and the actual 40+ minute song lol)! Sounded really clean to me.

2 Likes

Thank you :innocent: This album (I mean the second CD of Six Degress) was my first ever experience with Dream Theater. I was 15, picked up guitar to learn Korn songs at the local music school :smiley: … and my teacher gave it to me. He told me he wanted to give the first CD but his friend stole it. So that’s how Petrucci infected me for a lifetime.

1 Like

@gabrielthorn nice, I’d say it was close to the time I got into them as well. Caught Petrucci at a G3 concert (I was there for Satriani) and was mind blown. Ended up buying SFAM / I&W / Awake / ACOS after that, and 6DOIT when it was released probably less than a year later? I went to the concert and they opened with the entire 40+ minute song, it was amazing.

1 Like

6DOIT came 3 years after Metropolis pt 2, in 2002. Lucky guy, I heard the album just after the 6DOIT tour so I missed them :smiley: Also, I was a broke student, had no money for expensive concerts, so I missed the Train of thought tour too.

1 Like