Really glad to have found this thread because this is my perennial struggle too. Like @curvy my contact point is the thumb heel primarily. My default for playing the low strings on lower bridge guitars seems to be to roll the hand so that the thumb heel is contacting the body for the lowest strings, but at least for my hand anatomy this seems to be thoroughly incompatible with Tune-O-Matic style bridges. Whenever I pick this way on a TOM bridge I’m basically banging my thumb and pinky heel joint into the extra tall pickup ring and the high corner of the raised bridge over and over again at warp speed, and it feels pretty awful. I’m apparently most used to playing on trems, so this feels both pretty alien and pretty painful. The problem is, I kinda fell in love with a PRS McCarty 594 recently and that has a Tune-O-Matic style bridge, so it’s prompted me to re-evaluate my technique to see what I can do about it.
I think what I find challenging isn’t so much continuous palm muting on the lower strings, but more: doing open note stabs in a palm muted line, staccato, and really syncopated playing (with rests or dead notes). Really anything where you have to rapidly transition from open to muted many times over. I can’t figure out where to rest my hand on Tune-O-Matic style bridges, or how to orient my hand and forearm, to make this feel fast, consistent, and fluid.
My options seem to be:
- Accept that Tune-O-Matic style bridges just don’t agree with my picking technique and hand and move on. I don’t want to accept this though - I’d be missing out some really, really awesome guitars I’d really like to be able to make work for me (like a PRS McCarty 594 for instance).
- Retrain my right hand technique to just make USX my primary. I’ve tried it, and it seems like I might be able to make the switch for single note lines and palm muted chugging, but my brain just cannot comprehend 2-3 string strumming with USX motion. It’s just 100% garage spikes on the upstroke.
- Retain DSX, but change the primary contact point to be the pinky heel? I haven’t quite figured out the right forearm positioning / rotation for this to be possible tbh.
Really not sure if there’s anything I’m missing / anything else worth trying.