DSX Sweep Question

Is it possible to use downward escape for ascending sweeping runs or would it technically just be string hopping? I feel like after the downward escape you can hit the next string while the pick is still escaping in the air

I use DSX and I canā€™t do ascending economy picking like playing a 3NPS scale. Maybe it would be possible if you somehow reduced the amount of extension on downstroke and did a trapped stroke. I personally canā€™t do it, I only economy pick descending.

1 Like

I feel like itā€™s probably ā€˜possibleā€™ but fighting nature (i.e. garage spikes). Maybe check out the Frank Gambale interview, if you havenā€™t already? I am fairly sure Iā€™ve heard him described as primarily a DSX player but when he sweeps turns into a true two-way pickslanter. I say ā€œtrueā€ because for a while that term was used to describe what we now classify as helper motions. I believe when Frank does it he is actually changing slants on the fly and the way he does it is conducive to the direction needed to make the sweep smooth.

1 Like

Only on the last note. Itā€™s not physically possible to sweep across strings unless the pick is angled with the point away from the direction of movement. So ascending sweeps require DWPS, descending requires UWPS. Of course, the last note can be an escape stroke to turn the pick around and reverse direction.

I made this thread because I just rewatched a video of him lol. Good catch. I feel like Iā€™m sweeping without changing much but Iā€™m sure thereā€™s a very small adjustment somewhere. It doesnā€™t feel like stringhopping though

If it was an option. Yngwie would do it to keep pick orientation. You have to use hammer ons and pull offs to keep orientation.

been watching a bunch of USX guys play this part and they all hammer on on the string descend and sweep on the ascend. keeping pick orientation the same the entire way.

the part is 26 - 28 seconds in this video if you want to se for yourself

1 Like

I have a semi serious suggestion that DSX players can do to play like Yngwie. Get a lefty guitar and play it like a righty. Your sweeps now ascend :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The random tapped note in the lick is odd to me lol but Iā€™m not much of a tapper